That's One Small Step For Human Kind, One Giant Leap For You

Why Would I Even...

Sorry if you were looking for another "how to get everything you want" articles because this is not that. Recently I have been starting to think about what I want to do with my career and where I want to be in 10 years. After talking it over with a few friends it just seems that we all want to have a stable income, pay off our college loans, and have a career that we will intrinsically enjoy.

This is an ongoing theme that is happening with a lot of seniors that I have spoken to over the last several months. Here is how their storyline goes, "So I got this job offer that will pay me well but it is only temporary and I just want to start making my way in the career field." Well here is my perspective on the situation, take the time now to be young and figure out what you want to do in your career. In a formal four year college, your major predetermines the field that you work in post-grad. So why not take some time after college to find out what you actually want to do?

The Fear Factor

Obviously this will not be as simple as getting an internship and right off the bat falling madly in love with that career path. No this is more of a trial and error experiment. The reason I say all of this is because when you are in your late 40's with your kids just starting to look at colleges that's not the time to reconsider your career choices. NOW, now is the time to reconsider everything you always wanted to do or think you could do. A college career is supposed to work for you, not against you. You did not spend four years of exams, research papers, and presentations just to end up in crippling debt at a job you will die unhappy at.

How I Know

Personally I have never been the person to know exactly what I wanted to do with my life. For my 11th birthday, I begged my parents for horseback riding lessons. So as the carrying parents they are they bought me 10 lessons of horseback riding lessons to just try it out. By the 3rd lesson, when I had to clean the horse myself... let's just say my mom and I were both over horseback riding as an extracurricular.

Thankfully at the age of 11, I was not making any decisions that could have a lasting impact on the rest of my life. This is exactly why it is also hard to think that the decision I made as an 18-year-old will determine what my career will consist of for the rest of my life. I am a much different person now then I was when I was 11 years old but I am also a much different person now then I was at 18 as well.

Ultimate Goal

Pursue your dreams and reassess your goals all the time. We are all growing and changing which means our goals are simultaneously changing with us. Give yourself the time to self reflect in order to obtain satisfaction within your professional life. Continue to try new things, don't settle for what you use to want.