When You're On The Verge Of Giving Up

When You're On The Verge Of Giving Up

Just keep swimming.

11
When You're On The Verge Of Giving Up
Yessica Ramirez

Don't do it.

We, as humans, fail many times in life. That’s simply part of the process. Though some of the times that I’ve felt like I’ve failed the most is when I stop trying or when I don’t even try at all due to my own doubts.

The disappointment floods over me when I realize I stopped trying or caring with a project I once wanted to complete. All the effort and hard work goes to waste the moment I decide to stop. What happened to all the motivation and determination on achieving that certain goal? Everything in life gets so difficult and challenging, it’s like someone is purposely throwing tasks at me when I’m doing great. Like “Here Yessica, catch this! And this! Wait, this too!” I only have two hands, how am I supposed to do this? Those tasks become obstacles. Obstacles that are nearly impossible to complete. Nearly.

There are days when I think to myself, “What is the point of even trying? I don’t know how to do it, I know I will fail.” That’s when you smack yourself upside the head. Calm down with all that negativity. You haven’t even started yet you’re already doubting yourself? That's not how it should be.

Nerves take over me sometimes which leads to doubt. I become afraid of continuing. The process of learning something new is something that makes me incredibly nervous. For example, before I started working with cameras, the thought of even touching a camera made me nervous. There are so many different buttons that each work differently. How on earth will I memorize this in a certain amount of days?

I recall feeling anxious when I found out that my first actual “hands-on with a camera” class was coming up. The day was coming faster than I thought. Mixed feelings everywhere. What if I don’t do something correctly? How am I going to remember what each buttons purpose is? White balance? This is something that makes me not want to even try. All these questions and doubt fill my head to the point where I become too afraid to even begin the process of learning.

But you see, the thing is you make mistakes and learn every day. Don't pressure yourself into learning something so quickly. Honestly, take the time you need. We all learn and take in information differently.

Someone once told me to never ever doubt yourself. No matter the circumstances. Once you doubt yourself it all falls apart. You can't let it happen.

We have to try anyway. If we fail, we learn from our mistakes. It's all a process we go through, but at one point we will be to grown to let the little things get in the way.