On Being A PROcrastinator

On Being A PROcrastinator

It can wait until tomorrow.

254
On Being A PROcrastinator
Tom Magliery / Flickr

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about myself over the years, it’s that there is no way to avoid the fact that I’m a procrastinator.

I choose Netflix over homework, I’ll eat instead of clean and I’ll take long naps when I know something is due. I’ve tried to get myself on a better schedule to make sure things are done ahead of time, but every attempt has failed.

Instead, I learned to embrace it and have actually learned quite a few tips and tricks along the way that have helped me to become a PROcrastinator.

Over the years, I’ve had quite a few professors make the announcement that the project they are giving us is not something that can be done the night before. It’s something that needs a lot of planning and attention. Well professor, I hear you and I accept the challenge.

Nothing motivates me more than someone telling me the task they’re giving me can’t be done last-minute.

I do readings and answer questions the night before they’re due.

I leave papers until 24 hours before the due date to start.

I used to start projects earlier, but found myself giving it a poor effort, starting it and leaving it off to the side until the day before due date.

I am so much more motivated when I’m on a time crunch!

I work faster and far more efficiently when a deadline is approaching and I haven’t even considered the topic.

Because I’m now a confident PROcrastinator, I’ve taught myself the quickest and most effective way to get things done. To-do lists get done in record time and the things that don’t really need attention get pushed to the side in the few hours of intense make-up for the earlier procrastination.

It has also helped me learn what I consider to be the most important. At the end of the day, I know my school work is the most important thing right now and when it comes down to it, that is always my priority. It also leads me to finding more creative ways to get things done. I’ve learned to multitask creatively to make sure everything gets done in record time.

I’ll admit, procrastination can be a dangerous game to play around with. But as time goes on, you will learn if you’re a procrastinator or a PROcrastinator. You must know yourself well enough to know if you can handle the art of procrastination.

Know yourself. Learn how you work best.

But don’t figure that out now.

It can wait until tomorrow.