taking notes by hand

Don't Judge Me For Being An Old Fashioned Note Taker

People who use laptops in class please teach me your ways!!!

49
https://pixabay.com/en/coffee-pen-notebook-caffeine-cup-2306471/

Now that fall semester has begun, I have to ask this question: how do people study from notes taken on laptops?!

I am very old fashioned and need to have a pen and a sheet of paper with me in every class. The only way I remember discussions from class or important points a professor emphasizes is if I physically write it down in my own handwriting.

I definitely know what it is like to have professors that talk too fast or gloss over things and in the moment, I do find having access to google docs or a word document helpful- but that does not serve me long term. I'll be the first to admit that taking notes on a laptop is a much faster and an easier way to document what is being said in class.

However, I find that I don't actually absorb or even think about the information while I am typing.

For me, typing can be a brainless activity because my muscle memory keeps my fingers on top of the necessary keys in order to form the words I am hearing. When I have to write the words out using pen and paper, I feel much more aware during class and I'm more able to recall the topics discussed later on.

But, this is a personal issue. I am sure that some people might feel the same way I do, but I also know plenty of people that have completely switched over to technology and it has served them better than my old fashioned ways.

I guess the real question is- how do people type and stay focused on what they're typing? I know what I am trying to sell at the moment, but again it is more muscle memory than conscious thought about the discussion at hand.

People who use laptops in class please teach me your ways because, at this rate, I don't think my world will ever be paperless.