Not Your Mother's New Years Resolutions

Not Your Mother's New Years Resolutions

6
Not Your Mother's New Years Resolutions
Maxwell's Concerts and Events

We're less than a month into the new year and many of us have already given up on our resolutions. From a better body to better grades to better relationships, everyone is looking to make some improvements in 2015. But this year, I encourage you to skip the stereotypes. Try something new; after all, it is a new year. 

To get you on the right track, I've shaken up some basic resolutions with my own twists.

1. Don't Start a Crazy Diet/Workout Plan - Instead of obsessing over fitting into a certain size or looking amazing by Spring Break, why not resolve to stop worrying so much about your body? Have a second piece of cake if you want it. Skip the gym if your bed is too comfortable. Start a workout plan you can actually handle. Be confident that you look great and don't beat yourself up over the little things.

2. Work Smarter, Not Harder - Almost every college student vows to study more at the beginning of each semester; however, this isn't always the best goal. Instead, try studying more efficiently. Stay on top of reading and homework throughout the semester. Form a study group and compare notes after class. That way, you don't have to cram for every test or final exam.

3. Get Less SleepWake up earlier. Stay up later. We're only young once and we all know that nothing boring happens after 1 AM. Get late-night Waffle House. Meet a friend for early morning coffee or a walk to Piedmont Park. Don't let this year pass you by while you're getting your eight hours of shut-eye every night.

4. Take Things Off Your To-Do List - Don't get me wrong, being involved on campus is crucial to the college experience. But pick one or two things you are passionate about and give them the attention they deserve. Don't spread yourself too thin or try to do it all. You'll be much happier making an impact in one organization than you will be running around from meeting to meeting with no time to fully commit to any one group.

5. Make a Budget (and Stick With It) - Let's be real: we could all spend a little less on Caramel Macchiatos (or whatever your beverage of choice is) each month. But more important that being frugal is tracking your money to see where it's going. In fact, you may find that you can afford to go out more or you have enough to start saving for a big purchase. Regardless, you'll never know unless you look at your spending patterns. Plus, It's never too early to learn good financial habits.

6. Focus More on Others - Another common resolution is to volunteer more, but don't let your compassion stop when you leave the soup kitchen. Pick up Chick-Fil-A for a friend when they're having a bad day. Call someone you haven't talked to in a while. Go home and see your parents. Thinking of others will make you a lot happier, too.

7. Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously - No matter what your specific aspirations are for this year, nobody is perfect. Don't worry if you make a bad grade or don't land your dream job. The best part of a new year is the chance to start fresh.

Hopefully you're inspired to mix up your resolutions this year. Face 2015 head-on and if you don't accomplish everything you want, there's always next year.