For The College Graduate Struggling To Find Work | The Odyssey Online

I'm Not Where I Want To Be In Life Right Now And That's Okay

Post-grad life is basically a roller coaster that doesn't let everyone off at the same time.

27
https://unsplash.com/photos/3qMfzgNcCm4
Tim Gouw

Ever since I graduated college almost 2 months ago, life has been the complete opposite of what I thought it would be.

I finished 4 years of college in 3, worked multiple research jobs, wrote for Odyssey for almost 2 years, held Executive Board positions for Odyssey, graduated with Honors and battled some of the hardest life circumstances I could've imagined.

Whenever I got out of college, I thought my resume would blow recruiters away. I thought I would have jobs thrown at me given my skill set and work experience. I thought I would be able to leave college and immediately jump into the work world.

I was very wrong.

You might be wondering where I am now. Am I working a 9 to 5 job with good pay and benefits? Am I working in Communications and Social Media like I've wanted to do for the longest time?

Am I finally the writer I've always wanted to be? Am I influencing my readers in a positive manner through my written work?

Sadly, I am not where I want to be in life right now. However, I'm not gonna dwell on that because it won't change anything.

I'm not working a 9 to 5, I don't own my own business, I don't have a giant paycheck with benefits and I'm not living on my own just yet.

I'm back at my old summer job at Dairy Queen making slightly more than minimum wage.

After my coworker questioned me about my return to my old job where most of my coworkers are between the ages of 16 to 18, I felt horrible about myself.

I went home and cried for hours because I felt humiliated.

If we're being honest, Dairy Queen was all I had.

I'd applied to every type of job from Barista to Social Media Manager. I'd gone in for interviews here and there, but no one offered me a job.

I felt like the world's biggest failure. I felt so alone and embarrassed. I felt like I didn't even deserve to be around my friends because they all had jobs and I didn't.

Newsflash: if you're in this situation too, you're not alone.

This is something almost every graduate has to go through.

Even if you have a degree, years of degree-related work experience and an applicable skill set, the real world will humble you in a skinny minute.

Let it happen. You will get that job. Your time will come.

It may not happen right away, but it will happen.

Post-grad life is like a roller coaster. Every graduate boards at the same time, but not everyone gets off at the same time. Some people get off before the first big drop, and some don't get off until the ride is almost over.

Be thankful for where you are in your life. Even though there are days where I'm down on myself about working a minimum wage job, at least it's something.

Don't give up. Apply everywhere that's hiring, and I mean everywhere.

Just when you think you've exhausted every possible opportunity, a door will open just for you.

Love the life you have while you work for the life you want.