Why It's OK To NOT Have It Together Right After College

I’m A College Graduate Who Still Doesn’t Have Everything Together, And That’s OK

Let's stop the misconception that if you don't have it all together right after college, you're screwed.

90

As of this writing, I'm officially three months in the postgraduate stage of my life. One would assume that by this point, I definitely have everything together: I have a really great job in my field lined up, I own my own house, and I'm living the sweet life.

The great thing about being a college grad is having the freedom to do whatever you want as your next move. You can join your fellow grads in the job hunt to thumb through "entry-level" jobs that require 10 years of experience. You can go to grad school and get your graduate degree so you can be even more qualified. You can travel the world if you have the means to, or you can take time off and finally finish binge-watching "The Office" while catching up on sleep.

Let's say you're looking through your news feed on Facebook one day. Scrolling through, you see that an old high school friend just bought a house. Immediately, you're asking yourself, "How did they get a house already? What is the secret? Am I actually as successful as I thought I was, even though I just got my bachelor's degree?!"

If you've ever found yourself in this situation, you are definitely not alone. It can be frustrating comparing yourself to others and doubting your own success and potential. I'm here to tell you...

Don't.

Something I've learned recently is that everyone's life path is totally different. There are people who get their bachelors in their forties, people who get their first house at 60, and people who get their first cars, and even licenses, well past the age of 16. The key thing to remember is that there is no set "age cap" to achieve any big milestone in your life.

I'm proud to admit that I'm one of the millions of college grads who don't have everything together just yet, and that's OK. Life is not a race, and everybody goes at their own pace (that rhyming was totally unintentional).

Being a college grad is amazing. The bottom line is: do whatever feels best for YOU and nobody else. And above all, take some time off if you wish; you worked hard to come this far and you deserve it!