I Went Through Tremendous Struggles This Semester, But I'm Not Any Less For Not Making Dean's List

You can be happy for you accomplishments, but I'm happy about mine too.

37
Photo by Becca Tapert on Unsplash

Grades are out and all I see on my Facebook News Feed is everyone talking about how they made Dean's List and got amazing grades despite all of the struggles they endured that semester. Don't get me wrong and make SURE you process this statement; I am BEYOND happy for you. You endured a great deal and it was very difficult but you managed to come out on top despite the challenges.

With all of that being said, other people struggled just as much as you did and the fact that they made it through the semester, even if they didn't have the best of grades, should be celebrated too. In both situations, students could be dealing with family struggles, mental health issues, physical health issues, and many other scenarios. Anyone dealing with these kinds of setbacks knows what a toll it takes on your academics. Not only do you have to focus on whatever may be weighing on your shoulders, but you have to juggle being a student. There are many assignments, quizzes and projects that need your attention; and that doesn't even include having to attend class.

So, juggling these two at the same time can start to impact your grades or attendance. Just because some students did not get that 3.5 GPA in no way means they did not pull through despite the odds. While yes, achieving something as high as Dean's List is a huge accomplishment when also dealing with outside problems, those that also went through the same struggles but did not get the same high grades should get some praise as well.

Both groups of students dealt with a great deal of stress, we need to acknowledge all students that were able to pull through and successfully complete a tough semester, even if their grades might not be what they wanted.