There won't be a second Gilmore Girls revival

We Really Don't Need A Second 'Gilmore Girls' Revival, The Show Has Already Come Full Circle

Can we not appreciate something for what it is?

67
Lorelai and Rory Gilmore in "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life"

Ever since "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life" came out in November 2016, fans of the show have called for a sequel to the revival. People have been arguing that the revival series ended with such an intense cliffhanger that they NEED answers to all five bajillion questions left at the end of the series.

Don't get me wrong, I was SHOOK when I first watched the revival almost four years ago. I didn't see the end coming, but I knew it was something special. You see, Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator of the series, left the show before the final season, but it is common knowledge that Sherman-Palladino had the last four words of the series picked out from the very beginning of the series. With her departure from "Gilmore Girls," fans were deprived of those four words—until "A Year in the Life" came out anyway.

Because Sherman-Palladino was at the helm of "A Year in the Life," the revival of the series finally ended with those last four words—and they garnered quite the reaction. That reaction was not completely positive, and fans quickly began begging for more from Stars Hollow.

In 2019, much like the show itself, this "Gilmore Girls" conversation got a revival of its own. Sherman-Palladino signed a deal with Amazon to exclusively work for them due to the success of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" with one catch: she can work with any company on more "Gilmore Girls" if she so desires. This news left news sources and fans alike with the hope that maybe more "Gilmore Girls" episodes are coming soon.

Now, however, in the year in which very little has gone right, those fans may be getting their wish. The IMDB page for "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life" now says a season 2 is coming in November 2020. Additionally, the Gilmore Girls Instagram page has become very active in 2020 with much reason.

I hate to break it to you, but I don't think more episodes should be coming any time soon.

Sherman-Palladino was set on Rory and Lorelai's final conversation back in 2000 when the series first premiered—the series was always going to end with a cliffhanger. Why should that change 20 years later? The idea was never to give fans exactly what they wanted.

The ending of "A Year in the Life" allowed "Gilmore Girls" to finally come full-circle, even though it left fans upset and Rory in a non-ideal situation. However, the revival gave Sherman-Palladino the closure she desired for the series she created—it wasn't for the fans. So why can't "Gilmore Girls" fanatics just let it go and appreciate Sherman-Palladino's artistic vision to thank her for the world of Stars Hollow? And why is Sherman-Palladino possibly changing her mind now?

Where Amy leads, I will follow, but I don't think it should be back to Stars Hollow.