No Matter The Letter

As members of the Greek community, we are not only brought up to be leaders, but also volunteers in the community as well. Whether it be fundraising for our respective houses’ philanthropies, or an occasional charity-themed exchange at Feed My Starving Children, we are always looking for new ways to help improve the world, one act of kindness at a time.

But when school winds down and we find ourselves in the world of business-wear and 10 hour days, how will we be able to stay involved? It’s as easy as paying attention to what’s happening in your city.

Charity doesn’t stop the minute we lose our “Active” status. In Minneapolis and St. Paul, alone, there are countless ways to lend a hand at a non-profit.

Take the Ronald McDonald House Charities for example: they provide housing for families with a child suffering from a life-threatening illness. It’s a way for parents living outside the Twin Cities to get their child the care they need without adding on unnecessary expenses.

One of their locations can be found right off campus on Oak Street, making it easy for you to get involved now and stay involved later. Check out their Cooks for Kids program and start making a difference! It’s a win-win situation.

Another charity dealing with those stricken with a life-threatening sickness is that of Open Arms. Open Arms of Minnesota not only cooks and delivers food to those who are unable to do so for themselves, but they specialize each meal to go along with any nutrition needs that differ from person to person, depending on the illness. With over 2,000 volunteers, Open Arms welcomes any and all people interested in helping out. This could be the right fit for you.

Looking for a way to work with animals? Look no further than the Animal Humane Society in Minneapolis. Volunteering can be anywhere from the shelter itself, to hosting a fundraiser at your place of work for the sake of AHS. Even doing something as simple as recycling animal-friendly things around your home to be sent to the shelter is doing a world of good (i.e. old toys, litter, etc.).

Want an animal but don’t have time to commit to one for 10+ years? Think about fostering a pet. It’s a great way to get the animal acclimated in a home setting before finding them a great place to live. 

So, while we will wear our letters for life, it’s important to establish your own place in the volunteering community. Show everyone how much you can do outside your organization, and that will strengthen your chapter even more than you’ll know.

No matter the letter, we all have the ability to do amazing things, so why not do amazing things for others? Your city will thank you, and it’s the gift that gives both ways.

Stay passionate, stay involved, and always look for more ways to help make a change. It’s the Gopher (and Greek) way.