Kansas City Fans Booing A Moment Of Silence In The Name Of Unity Proves It Was Never About The Flag
Currently

The moment of unity marks a moment of coming together to fight for equality and to band together with those who do not experience the same level of equality as others.

2666

The return of the NFL last night saw a crowd of 17,000 socially distanced fans booing the players coming together for a "moment of unity" against the injustices in America.

It was an odd moment to hear the fans audibly expressing their apathy for the action and yet watching as all the players, coaches, and staff of both teams linked arms.

Colin Kaepernick was the first in the NFL to take a knee during the national anthem in 2016. As a result of his protest, he was essentially excommunicated from the NFL with no executives or teams willing to take a shot at bringing him onto the team.

Now, four years later, the NBA has taken major steps in their Orlando bubble to create a space to speak on racial injustice and the NFL is doing their part to do the same.

When Kaepernick took a knee, many thought it was a direct dig at the anthem, the American flag, and veterans. However, seeing the Texans and the Chiefs holding a moment of silence together it's clear that Kaepernick's protest and the actions of the NBA and these two teams are greater than the flag.

And to hear fans booing the players for coming together in solidarity proves that the backlash against Kaepernick was never about the flag, it was about using his platform to speak out against injustice.