Golden-Oldies To Contemporary Bops: 3 Gloriously Repurposed Songs

"New" songs on the radio aren't actually as new as you think.

19
record player
Celine McMonigal

Have you ever been listening to the radio and a song comes on that gives you a strong sense of deja-vu? Or you know a song, and you're singing it to yourself, and you realize you recognize the lyrics/notes/tune? This has happened to me a few times, and I know I'm not the only person who has noticed these things, so I decided I had to write about it to make sure other people knew.

My first example is "Banana Boat Song (Day O)" by Harry Belafonte.

Harry Belafonte - "Banana Boat Song (Day O)" - 1956 www.youtube.com

This song was released in 1956 with the original lyrics "Day-o, day-o, daylight come and me wan' go home." This lyric was nicely repurposed for the Jason Derulo song "Don't Wanna Go Home," released 2011 where the lyric was only slightly changed to "Day-o, me say day-o, daylight come and we don't wanna go home." Not only re-using the words, but also changing the meaning from wanting to be done with work to not wanting to leave the club.

Jason Derulo - Don't Wanna Go Home (Official Video) www.youtube.com

Second, we all know the classic "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston from 1987; "Oh I wanna dance with somebody, I wanna feel the heat with somebody, yeah I wanna dance with somebody, with somebody who loves me."

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Official Music Video) www.youtube.com

Well, the song "Somebody" from 2014 by Natalie La Rose feat. Jeremih definitely borrowed the lyrics and sound of the chorus by saying "I wanna rock with somebody, I wanna take shots with somebody, I wanna leave with somebody, and we ain't gonna tell nobody, we ain't gonna tell nobody."

Natalie La Rose - Somebody (Audio) ft. Jeremih www.youtube.com

Lastly, Merilee Rush's "Angel of the Morning" from 1968 says "Just call me angel of the morning (angel), just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby. Just call me angel of the morning, angel, then slowly turn away."

Merrilee Rush - Angel Of The Morning (stereo w/o vocal overdubs) www.youtube.com

These beautifully sweet notes appeared in the 2000 Shaggy ft. Rayvon song "Angel" in "Girl, you're my angel, you're my darling angel. Closer than my peeps you are to me, baby. Shorty, you're my angel, you're my darling, angel. Girl, you're my friend when I'm in need, lady" keeping the same angelic theme and using the same notes.

Shaggy - Angel ft. Rayvon (Official Music Video) www.youtube.com

I hope this article not only opened your eyes to some artists who up-cycled classics to make new hits but got at least two of these magnificent songs stuck in your head.