You're Never Too Old To Be Woke, Our Grandparents Are Clear Proof
Family Friends

You're never too old to be woke, Our Grandparents Are Clear Proof

There is no reason to be constrained by these binaries. Clearly, my grandparents are proof that there is room for both Jesus and Ru.

501
personal photo

How many times have you ignored or accepted ignorance, bigotry, and pure acts of hatred from someone over the age of 60 because "they grew up during a different time"? For a long time I fell victim to this mindset. I would even tolerate racist comments aimed directly at me because I thought I couldn't blame an older person for being racist; they grew up in a time where racism was the norm.

Over the last 5-10 years I have watched my grandparents become even greater people than I believed possible. I have viewed them as my best friends and incredible role models my entire life, but I can't help but look in awe at the intense transformation that has occurred in just the last two years.

Both of my grandparents grew up in extremely religious households in Southern Indiana. They married young and started a family. Eventually, both of them became pastors, dragging along my mom and uncles to church multiple times a week. Watching Scooby-Doo wasn't allowed, nor listening to Rock music. Their beliefs strictly aligned with typical conservative Christian teachings, and there was always a clear line between right and wrong.

As their children became older, the began to loosen up a little more. What was once black and white became gray. But it wasn't until their first grandchild, Devlyn, came along that their world truly changed.

Like many others their age, they grew up believing that being gay was a sin. Despite that, when Devlyn looked my grandparents in the eyes and told them that they're gay, not an inch of them loved my cousin any less. Suddenly, "gay" was not a label pinned to distant and unfamiliar faces, but an addition to long list on qualities that made their grandchild so special.

Fast forward to 2018. Take a look at this picture of my Granny's planner.

I am tired of people saying "I am a Christian" as a rationale for being homophobic. I am tired of society saying you must be one thing or another. You must be a man or a woman. You must be a Christian or support same-sex marriage. There is no reason to be constrained by these binaries. Clearly, my grandparents are proof that there is room for both Jesus and Ru.

I honestly don't think 1970s Steve and Faye would recognize the trailblazing couple I know today. I've had conversations with them about everything from abortion rights to what it means to be gender nonconforming. They spend their weekends attending marches and rallies (Yes, the cover image of this article is my grandparents at the Families Belong Together rally). They have voiced characters on Devlyn's podcast, "Mattachine", which follows the story of the secret organization that catalyzed the American gay rights movement.

My grandparents view the world in such a pure way. They view it with nothing but love and respect in their hearts. My granny put it so beautifully when she said,

"How can I be so arrogant to think that I deserve love but my grandchild does not?"

It often feels easier to ignore what we know is wrong that to do something about. But are we really going to disregard basic human rights because it's "easy"? It is time to take action. Stop making excuses for yourself and others. Stop letting age make the rules. You're never too old to be woke.