Jordan Is Violating Syrian Refugees Human Rights And It's Our Moral Obligation To Help
Politics

Nobody should have to endure the terror that this group of people is experiencing.

144
Unsplash / Mitchel Lensik

Jordan is home to the third largest population of Syrian refugees, 9/10 of whom are living below the poverty line. Due to this and financial insecurity, many are susceptible to human trafficking and unsafe living and work conditions. Many children become slaves, and women are forced into arranged marriages by a third party, often abandoned by the man or forced into prostitution. When it comes to employment, there are cases of non-payment and inhumane work conditions. The Jordanian government has tried to increase refugee access to legal employment, but many are still working under minimum wage and reaching out to the law means risking exploitation or arrest.

What is happening in Jordan is serious a human rights violation. But do we really understand what human rights even entail? And why should we care enough to do something?

Well, human rights are inherent privileges every human has, regardless of their culture, race or gender. These rules establish that no matter where you are, you should not be put in danger or stripped of your God-given privileges. But that's what is happening to the Jordanians every day. And even though Jordan may be halfway across the world to where you are, that doesn't mean its human rights violations won't spread like an infectious disease straight to your city. After all, human trafficking is a major issue in Atlanta, Georgia as well, despite it being one of the popular U.S. cities to visit down South.

In fact, if we tally up the human rights violations in Jordan, they would include:

ARTICLE 4, 12, 13, 16, 23— Girls are forced into arranged marriages through third parties without their consent in which they are often sold into prostitution or abandoned.

ARTICLE 3, 25, 24, 23 — One factory was guilty of exploiting and trafficking migrant workers. They were charged with physical abuse, unsafe living conditions, and withholding pay.

ARTICLE 23— Many Syrians are illegally employed and work under the minimum wage.

ARTICLE 18, 19 Refugees are threatened with deportation, arrest, even human trafficking if they reach out to the law enforcement.

All these violations tie back to our cities as the trafficking trade takes roots into international grounds. It is our moral duty to exterminate these roots from our cities, for the Syrians and for all the suffering people in the world.

Together, we can help raise awareness and resources by donating to organizations like Helping Hand for Relief and Development, UNICEF USA, Save The Children and the Syrian American Medical Society. Take action today and make the world a safer place for all of us. Bigger or small, any amount of effort can make a difference.