April Is National Poetry Month

For National Poetry Month, Here Are 5 Poets Who Deserve Your Attention

I love reading and writing poetry, so what better way to welcome warmer weather than by enjoying some poetry that makes you feel less cold inside?

86
Taylor Newswander

I love poetry because it can make you feel so many different things in so few words. There is a certain beauty to the way the words are crafted together. April is National Poetry Month, so it is only fair that I share my five favorite poets.

Atticus Poetry

We've all probably been on Instagram and seen different short poems by "Atticus." There are actually four poetry books by this poet, and I highly recommend "Love Her Wild."

Noor Unnahar

Noor was a more recent addition to my list of top poets. She only has one book of her own poems and a poetry journal out, but she finds a way to hit the spot over and over. "Yesterday I was the Moon" is fantastic.

Rupi Kaur

While she only has two books out, Kaur's "Milk and Honey" has been very popular since its release. It is not a poetry book that I read all at once, rather in sections to digest it all.

Edgar Allan Poe

I discovered Edgar Allan Poe in seventh grade and fell in love with poetry because of it. We read "The Raven" in class and I could not get enough. He is a classic! I love his work, and I hope you will, too.

Nikita Gill

Anyone who knows me knows Nikita Gill is my absolute favorite poet. She has gotten me through many hard days, and nothing has ever empowered me the way her words do. She has almost half a dozen books out right now with another one coming out later this year — I recommend all of them. My go to is "Your Soul is a River," so maybe start there? Honestly, though, you can't go wrong with her work.

And there you have it, my top five poets you should definitely check out this month!