My PS4 Account Issue And How I Solved It!

The PS5 is making me overthink everything!

14

My PlayStation 4 is dying

I can confidently say that without a doubt that my console of five years is almost dead and honestly, I think it's time. For context, the PlayStation 5, Sony's newest next-generation console, is releasing to the public on November 12th. If you've read my previous article you would know that I successfully managed to get a pre-order on the console. But while I wait the next couple of weeks to secure my birthday/Christmas present I sadly look upon my old tired out PS4. That console and I have gone through a lot and I think now more than ever, it can be put to rest.

There are some hiccups I came across while looking at my PS4 games

You see, The PS5 is backwards compatible. Meaning that previous PS4 games can be played on the PS5 and for a lot of people, including myself, that is a major win. However, I constantly looked over to my pile of PS4 games. Over the last five years, I've garnered a collection of PS4 games from 'Lego Batman 3' (2014), 'Hitman 2 (2018)', and 'Jedi: Fallen Order' (2019). With many more all piled up in a container. I love these games but to be honest some I have not touched in years. One of my favorite games 'The Last of Us' (2013) got a next-generation upgrade when the PS4 came out – becoming one of the console's hit games. I remember buying the special edition "PlayStations Hits" edition around 2018 and I didn't open it till 2020 when the sequel came out. For me, I have a habit of playing some of the same games over and over again, so I decided I had to really think about my next steps moving forward. With this new console, I do not want to flood it with 30+ games installed from my previous account to just only play five games.

So, I went and looked at all my games and decided on ten games to transfer over to the PlayStation

But about ten minutes in I realized a problem: what PlayStation account do I use? With my original PS4 gamertag, that's where all my progress has gone into over the last couple of years. And while I don't mind replaying some of my favorite games, there are some digital games that I know if I completely abandon on my original account, I won't play on my PS5's. What do I do? Do I rebuy the physical editions of these games? I always prefer physical copies rather than digital because you never know if one day a company will decide to revoke access to a digital game.

But then it hit me, after experimenting with my other account I created years ago for my MOD friends in college

That account had absolutely no progress on it. Not only that, the digital games I bought on my one account can be transferred to the second account. And with that second account, I can transfer it to the PlayStation 5 and keep the digital games I want to keep playing. I see this as a. Win-win for everyone, and by everyone, I mean just me. With the PlayStation 5 only weeks away, with 'Spider-Man: Miles Morales' (2020) trailing behind it, November is going to be one heck of a month and I cannot wait!