The Perfect Place To Study Doesn't Have To Be A Library

It isn't on the quiet floor of a campus library or between the pillows of my lofted bed.

62

Finding the perfect place to study can be quite difficult, especially when you're in a crunch. Usually, I find myself spread across my lofted bed, struggling to stay awake, as I read over course notes. Sometimes I'll find the energy to head over to the campus library and ascend to the quiet floor, hunker down and attempt to focus. The problem is that my bed is too comfortable and the library is too, well, uncomfortable. I either end up falling asleep or getting so distracted by the silence that I can't even begin to get work done. I've found that I need a place that is both relaxing and stimulating that can keep my attention on the studying I need to get done.

Coffee shops are where I feel most focused. I'm not talking about your neighborhood Starbucks, but something more personal. A few steps off campus, I found my perfect study spot at a brewhouse and bakery called Pascal's. It wasn't just the amazing Cuban espressos paired with cream cheese guava pastries. It was the atmosphere and people. Pascal's is a place where you walk in and feel welcomed. For those of you who don't know, Pascal's is way more than a coffee shop or a place that students come to study. It is a place where conversations about Christ and the world start. It's where my friends and I make plans, recite Scripture, and enjoy each other's company. It is a place where you meet new people and forge relationships that wouldn't have happened anywhere else. They also serve a mean cup of coffee and an assortment of teas and delicious baked goods.

Sometimes stepping out of your comfort zone can allow you to find a place that feels more like home. When I first walked in, I had no idea what an important spot it'd be in my life. The perfect study spot doesn't have to be generic and boring - it can be exciting and warm. We have our whole lives to be stuck in a cold, uncomfortable office, might as well enjoy our study spaces while we can. Also who said that where we study can only serve one purpose? While some may find it distracting, I find that it actually helps me focus. Most people can agree studying isn't fun and that it's hard to motivate yourself to do it. By putting myself into a stimulating environment not only does it drive me to study but finish up work so that I can enjoy my friends.

So sit down or spread out. The perfect study spot is out there, you just have to find it. For some, it's outside underneath a tree, the study room in their sorority house and for many, it is the quiet floor of a campus library. None of those locations have worked as well as my local coffee shop. Pascal's is my perfect spot, whether I'm meeting with friends, enjoying some quiet time, or scrambling to finish a homework assignment.