Living By The Pen: Lofty Idea or Life Goal?

Is it ideal to want to write books for a living?

20
Carl Monvoisin

When I was young, I hated everything to do with reading. I didn’t like reading and thought it was pointless because we had a television. I thought "Why would I read something when I could just watch it?" It wasn’t until I was in high school at Archbishop Rummel that I found a love for reading.

I was a freshman in high school when I, personally, chose to read a book because I had to read a certain amount of books a year to get full credit in my English and/or Reading classes. I always liked Greek Mythology because of the gods like Zeus and Poseidon and the legends about the heroes such as Perseus and Herakles. I fell in love with mythology and read through the Percy Jackson series, as well as multiple other series. After the Percy Jackson series, I started reading a lot more series ranging from Egyptian Mythology to spy affiliated novels to magical fantasies. I read a variety of different books and I started to realize that I wanted to be an author so I can write a book that will bring the happy, warm feeling I get when I read to other people.

I am criticized by my family, especially my grandpa, for my desire to become an author. My grandpa does not think that I will find a well-paying job, but I countered him by saying that I can become a writer, publisher, teacher, etc. He is worried about my well-being after seeing my aunt, who graduated with a 4.0 GPA from LSU, not get a job as well as not score high enough on her exam for medical school. He wants me to major in accounting, but I cannot stand math and the formulas that come with it. In order for him to stop nagging me, I choose to minor in accounting so I can fall back on that.

My goal for college is to have my first novel published so I can write for a publishing company as soon as I get out of college. I use to say it was my dream, but I decided that a dream was too far out of reach and made it something I will achieve: a goal. No matter who says I cannot become an author, I just stay strong and believe I can and will be a published author. It is my goal as a student, writer and person. Now that I expressed my goal, do you have a goal? If not, I suggest making one because it will be the light in the darkest, lowest days to help you push through all obstacles.