My Favorite Books

My Favorite Books

Check out my top five!

6
My Favorite Books
Maria Jay

Top 5 Favorite Books

May be spoilers ahead . . . be warned! :)

The Great Gatsby [F. Scott Fitzgerald]

Despite my peers lacking reviews of this novel we read in tenth grade, I really enjoyed this novel. The classic romance that Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan have has an unexpected turn with the accidental homicide, and suddenly ending with an unfortunate amount of non-existent support at Gatsby's funeral. It also helps that my favorite era is the roaring ‘20’s, but the vast parties and opulence found in the novel makes the reader excited to add an exemplar work to one’s repertoire.

A Work in Progress: A Memoir [Connor Franta]

I stumbled upon this memoir in Barnes and Nobles and the cover of the book instantly attracted me. Connor Franta has her own channel on YouTube with around 5.7 million subscribers. His work detailing his life and the struggles he's faced are very much relatable. I am now subscribed to Connor Franta and enjoy watching his videos that follow his life after the memoir.

The Diary of a Young Girl [Anne Frank]

I read this book my sophomore year in high school and then traveled to Amsterdam, Bruges, and London that following summer. Seeing the annex's hideout in real life heightened my appreciation for the book and sympathy for Anne, her family and those in the annex and others impacted by the mass genocide felt. This book is another classic text that students and adults (who have yet to read it) need to read!

Of Mice and Men [John Steinbeck]

Once again, another classic book. This one is more readily and unfortunately banned in some schools. I read this in AP English my junior year and even wrote a research paper on friendship using this text and the book below (Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner). I didn’t expect to enjoy this book, but I really did! Although another unfortunate ending to the novel, this novel does shed light on mental disabilities. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in this 1937 classic novel, but beware of the vulgarity of language and racism found in books of this nature.

The Kite Runner [Khaled Hosseini]

This more modern novel based in Afghanistan focused on Amir and his father, and Amir’s best friend, Hassan and his father, Ali. The story encounters difficult topics like rape and the rule of the Taliban, but this novel keeps the reader on their feet. As I said previously, I enjoyed this book so much that I wrote my final research paper in AP English on friendship while comparing similar themes in Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men. This book was interesting from beginning to end and even intrigued me to further explore more into Taliban rule, rape, and traditional Afghani culture. This is a must read for anyone with an interest in historical dramas or just interested in a new contemporary classic.