My experience as an Admissions Ambassador

Offering information to incoming freshmen is very rewarding.

28
Alexander Perlak

There are many jobs a student has the opportunity to take on in college. Ever since I went on my sister’s college tours five years ago, I found a job that I wanted to do. At the beginning of this semester, I’ve taken the initiative to apply for my dream college job, an admissions ambassador. The role of an admissions ambassador at Mount Saint Mary College is to give be the student connection for people who have an interest in attending the college.

I love my job and I am so happy I applied. To have the opportunity to show people my new home is amazing. I’m showing them everything I’ve learned here and the tricks of the trade of the campus. Being able to have this connection with mainly high school students that took the journey of finding a college, one that I took last year as well, is very rewarding. I remember my tour guide from my first visit and that’s what I hope to achieve during this job. I hope to be that person that influences a person to come to this school. Although this is my first semester as an admissions ambassador, I feel like I have achieved a lot so far. I have the capability to give my own tour, and I feel comfortable doing it. When out on tour, it’s fun just to talk with the families because they are interested in learning about what I call my home. I show them my classrooms, where I hang out and even the dorms. I also inform them about some fun facts. One of which is in one of our class halls, we have a small statue of Pinocchio hanging from the ceiling, this ironic because our school motto is “Doce Me Veritas,” which means teach me the truth. Also, they get a kick out of how many laps you must run for a mile on our indoor track (12). Some families like this digression because it gives them a break from all the information they are getting on that day.

When students come for any of our open houses, I get excited because this is a sneak peek of the possible class of 2021, 2022, and so on. Sometimes, the students aren’t as enthusiastic as the parents, but I know from experience, the students are nervous and just taking so much information in, it may be too much change at once. And as the students come back for Accepted Students Day and other events, they start to open up and we see their true interest in the school.

I love being an admissions ambassador because I love meeting new people and offering my opinion to the possible future students of this school. This job also allows me to make new friends. I’ve met so many people doing this and made relationships that will last a lifetime. Lastly, to think in advance, this job provides a good activity to include on your resume because it show you’ve acquired people skills in the form of employment on campus. Becoming an admissions ambassador at my school was a great decision I made and I hope to continue it for the rest of my days here at the Mount.