I Remember Where I Was When MCR Broke Up

It was the worst day of my emo life.

31

If you've read my other articles, you know I love My Chemical Romance. If you haven't, then know I had a raging emo phase. I exclusively listened to bands. Primarily, My Chemical Romance. I thought very highly of them and that honestly does not begin to cover how much I loved them.

I dreamed of seeing them perform live. It's likely the only group that I wished I could see live. There hasn't been any artist since them where I would spend a ridiculous amount of money if it meant I could go see them.

It's been so long so I don't remember the exact date but I'm pretty sure it was March 22nd, 2013 that they broke up. I was in the room, I was in a pink robe posting onto the MCR page on Facebook that I ran with my best friends.

I went back onto the Facebook dashboard, I refreshed it and found something that really shattered my world.

I definitely was in denial about it for a good twenty minutes. I was absolutely shocked to see that they had released a statement where they announced their break up. It was an incredibly short statement, too. Too short to repair the heartbreak I felt.

My dad felt that I was being very dramatic when I started crying but they were my world at the time. I'm sure there are artists that you would be devastated if they announced they would no longer perform.

I spent that night laying there in disbelief. I'm fairly certain that was my first experience with heartbreak. The next day I had a competition for a club that I was in at school. I couldn't concentrate, I couldn't be happy. Dramatic, I know.

For a very long time after they broke up, I couldn't listen to their music without getting emotional. There was one song in particular that they released in response to their break up that continues to make me feel some type of way.

It may seem like it's insane for me to feel this way but this band did a lot for me indirectly. It shaped many of my views at the time and provided me with a lot of self-confidence that I didn't have before.

I doubt that I would be the person I am today if it weren't for them. That's why their breakup was an event that is forever engraved in my mind.