Why Today's Music is Problematic

Misogynistic Music Is The Norm And Here Is How It Affects Society

The music industry is promoting oppression of women by praising artists with misogynistic lyrics.

61

Much of the popular music in contemporary society have lyrics that degrade and humiliate women. This music is played on the radio and is easily accessible to all ages. Promoting rape, oppression, and maltreatment of women is lauded in these popular tracks. Hookup culture is one of the outcomes of the rise in the misogynistic music as well as the reflection of these negative actions into the everyday life of society.

"Put Molly all in her champagne, she ain't even know it I took her home and I enjoyed that, she ain't even know it,"

are lyrics from the song "U.O.E.N.O." by Rocko that features Rick Ross and Future.

Rocko - U.O.E.N.O. ft. Future, Rick Rosswww.youtube.com

The song, "Fine China" by Chris Brown, includes lyrics such as, "It's alright, I'm not dangerous / When you're mine, I'll be generous / You're irreplaceable; Collectible / Just like fine China." It is never okay to think of a woman as a possession and Chris Brown certainly doesn't have the ethos to make a poetic metaphor about women's value.

Chris Brown - Fine China (Official Video)www.youtube.com

Even your favorite holiday anthem...

Baby it's cold outsideyoutu.be

Whether you are cognizant of it or not, music has morphed our society. Lyrics inspire people and can subconsciously affect their decisions and thoughts. Popular hip-hop and rap music has promoted hookup culture and the oppression of women. Men have been taught with the help of music that women are simply objects of pleasure that are required to abide by a man's wishes.

These songs are examples of the type of music our society glorifies and youth culture is accustomed to. Exposure to these demeaning ideas reflects on the behaviors of individuals. Women lose confidence in themselves and expect all men to take advantage of them. While men are urged to think it is the norm to exert dominance over women and view them as mere objects of pleasure.