Music, The Arts, and Following Dreams

Music, The Arts, and Following Dreams

Money is not what is important in life, its being successful in doing what makes you happy.

16
Music, The Arts, and Following Dreams
Americans For Conservation

It's beautiful how music, art, and literature can affect your day. Hearing a happy song on a gloomy day, seeing a painting that reminds you of lost love, seeing a play/show/movie/episode that covers you in wanderlust can all change your day in a short period of time.

A piece of art is the single most enriching thing a person can experience when coupled with human experience. Being able to associate a song with a person, a movie to a happy place, a book to something ou want in life, all leads to a more well-rounded personality and a more exciting life.

So why does wanting to create things that move people get such a bad rep? Why do schools favor cultivating sports and science over arts?

Money.

They don't see how the arts can be fulfilling and enriching if it doesn't make money.

But what's enriching about money? It's a system of currency that allows you to purchase goods and services. Money is not required to live out a happy life. All that's needed is a change of clothes, some food, a place to call home, and human interaction.

Happiness is not a full bank account. Happiness is a good book on a rainy day. Happiness is seeing a concert with your friends. Happiness is listening to a stellar album that makes you think about the world around you. Happiness is an episode of your favorite show. Happiness is using art to escape the stress, anger, and frustration that money, bills, and debts have put upon your shoulders. Happiness is going to see a musical to forget about your bad day at work.

Telling someone to be stable and secure is not solid life and future advice. Tell them to be happy. Don't push someone into being an Engineer if they don't love building and inventing things. Don't tell someone to be a CPA if they don't love math and enjoy computing numbers. Don't push someone away from the arts if that's what will make them happy.

The goal as educators and parents should not be money, but success. Help kids find a way to be successful in a field that makes them happy. Do they love music but aren't strong musicians? Open them up to the world of recording tech and music management. Do they love to draw but don't want to be an artist? Have them look into architecture. Do they love acting and performing but aren't quite good enough to be a professional? Help them see how these skills can be applied to public speaking/giving presentations/ law.

Don't ever push someone away from their passion. Help them enhance it and use it to be successful in their lives.