Reasons Why You Should Watch MTV's 'The Challenge'

Going thirty-two seasons strong, here's why you should watch the most underrated reality game show of all time.

170
MTV

As the youngest sibling of four, I hardly ever controlled the remote. I got into numerous fights with my older sisters as they pried the controller from my hands. Sure, I put up a brave fight, but singlehandedly lost every time.

All I wanted was "Kim Possible" but, instead, I got "A Shot At Love with Tila Tequila." I was watching more "Flavor of Love with Flavor Flav" and "Parental Control" instead of "Zoey 101" and this was how I became obsessed with a reality game called "The Challenge."

Considering it has been running for 31 seasons since 1998 and still going strong, it still blows my mind that I meet people who have no idea what it is because it is consistently getting top cable ratings.

Imagine this — "Big Brother" meets "Survivor" meets some kind of dramatic but obsessive soap opera — and I love it, so you should, too.

1. We Love to Love — And Hate — Cast Members

From the infamous Johnny Bananas taking Sarah Rice's share of the finale prize, to Cory Wharton's persistent self to Diem and CT's star-crossed lover story, we have dozens of cast members to root for.

2. T.J. Lavin

He's the host. No kidding, the guy has been here since "The Challenge's" eleventh season. He knows when to call people out, put everyone in check and hates quitters.

3. The Drama

It's a reality show and you can't be surprised when there is a handful of drama that comes along with it. There is always something going on and with this recent season's theme being Vendettas, there is definitely come grudges that are bound to blow up.

4. It's Empowering

It's exciting to see people test themselves mentally and physically. Take Cara Maria, who was one of the weakest links in the game until she whipped up in shape and took this show by storm. Now, she has the most appearances in a final in "Challenge" history.

Girl power? Yes, please, especially when the game is usually dominated by men.

5. Game Strategy

Players get the chance to run their strategies because it isn't all about brute strength. Sometimes, it gets them to the top of the tier and, sometimes, it blows up in their faces. Who doesn't love seeing that?

6. The Growth

You have the chance to see cast members go through life — marriage, divorce, college, start-ups, professions, death, life — and as they move on from this show.

7. Themed Seasons

Every season has a unique framework and structure that determines the cast members, challenges and finals. From Battle of the Exes to Bloodlines, Fresh Meat to Battle of the Sexes, Rivals to Free Agents, and Invasion of the Champions to the Final Reckoning, it is never the same.

8. It's Hilarious

One of the best parts about this show is the commentary.

Pure gold, enough said.

9. Win or Lose

You don't have to hate someone to enjoy watching them fall into a lake from three stories high, and seeing your favorite cast member win the final is a journey.

10. The Challenges

To no surprise, the actual challenges within this game are the thing that makes it the show it is. The producers will never cease to amaze me with the creativity and strain they put the players though.

* * *

Each season is it's own, with reoccurring cast members, so you can easily pick off anywhere and everywhere and that's why you should take up MTV's "The Challenge."