#MovingInProbs

#MovingInProbs

The challenges of moving into 1301 the day before classes start while also doing sorority recruitment.

10

Real Talk: The first day of school was last week, and normally this would be a low-key time. (It's not like syllabus week is a high-stress time.)

Oh wait; I still haven’t moved into my  apartment because 1301’s move in day is September 1st - with ZERO exceptions - which doesn’t work for people participating in sorority recruitment because house tours are August 31st. Cool! 

Glad every apartment complex on campus doesn’t  understand that lots of "sratty ppl" have to move in early and get their lives situated. So here I am trying to learn during syllabus week but instead I have to worry about  hanging letters and pictures on my wall. How stressful is that?

It's worth stating that 1301 is not the only apartment on campus that requires students to move in on September 1st. Given this, I’m sure many of you had problems moving into your apartments as well.

If there are going to be so many apartments on campus, I think it would be  reasonable if they accommodated for people participating in sorority or fraternity recruitment. Recruitment is a huge process that takes a lot of time to prepare for, and it can be very difficult to give 100% to recruit if you're too busy worrying about how you still need to get furniture, put away your clothes and decorate your apartment so it doesn't look like a prison. On top of that school starts the very next day, after house tours and your required move-in date. Therefore moving in a day late isn’t really an option either.

1301 claims that they need students to wait until September 1st to move in so that they can do maintenance to apartments and repaint their rooms. Personally I feel the week before school is a little late to be painting. A solution to this problem would be to do maintenance and repairs at the beginning of August or even a few weeks into August so people moving into apartments can get down to campus,  figure out a routine, buy groceries and start off on a good note with their living situation.

This way people participating in sorority recruitment can have plenty of  time to settle in and still be able to effectively participate in their chapter during this  hectic time of year. This would be much more convenient for many University of  Minnesota students, and would cut down on the amount of #MovingInProbs  experienced by new apartment leasers.