books vs movies

Real Talk On The 'Movies VS Books' Debate

Books and movies are different formats of storytelling, so, you shouldn't expect the exact same things from both.

1472
Brandy Clymer

Have you ever loved a book, or a book series, then watched the movie for it and were disappointed? Me too. Problem is, after living my whole life this way, I'm starting to realize how unfair I've been.

Now, before you jump down my throat and damn me to Hell over an opinion, let me just explain my reasoning.

Books are written in specific ways and for specific reasons. Okay, valid. The format, the perspective, the internal processing. All important parts of a good book.

Coming back to the format, a book is designed and structured so that readers can dive into the story's reality. Not so different than movies, but the way it's done is. Books require a mixture of flashy parts of excitement, but also dialogue and character perspective that doesn't always lend itself to film.

It's understandable when adaptations are made then, that not everything can be word-for-word from the book.

As long as the filmmakers stay true to the overall story and key parts, small differences between book and movie shouldn't ruin your enjoyment.

At the end of the day, books and movies are different formats of storytelling, so, you shouldn't expect the exact same things from both. Also, why do you want it?

Yes, I say that I would stay and watch a 12-hour long movie so that it would be exactly like the book, but that's not me really enjoying the movie. It may be hard to hear, but wanting movies like that just show an almost lack of creativity/imagination of the audience.

Let's be honest here. Even if you would watch something like that, there isn't enough time for you to watch frequently.

When a book is adapted into a movie, there needs to be a better distinction. Original readers of the books have had access and experience with the story, but moviegoers have not.

If for some reason you can't read the texts, or you're just more of a movie person, you should be able to enjoy the adaptation without the constant critique that is was wrong in this-or-that.

When an author writes, they write to their version of completion. When scriptwriters write, they don't always have that freedom.

Movie adaptations need to find the balance between fan service and stand-alone value.

It'd be great to experience a character's thought process, but not everyone wants a scene with little physical actions and a monologue of sorts. Fans of the books, the movie(s) aren't just for us. Sorry if you weren't prepared for that newsflash.

Sure, there are adaptations that went too far and didn't end up successful or did but added entire storylines, characters, and villains. I'm not saying that all adaptations are made equal. But, I am saying that they are not extensions of the book, as much as they are companions. A new perspective if you will.

At the end-of-the-day, if the story, in either or both formats, made you really feel something, and/or left an impression, it's worth your time and appreciation. You can have your preference in the books versus movies debate, but don't think that your opinion is the only "right" one.