"It" Movie Review

"It" Movie Review

I never thought it would be this good

154
"It" Movie Review
It movie cover

Two people who put horror, fun and thrill in one movie came together and made "It" the original, a true masterpiece. Those people are none other than Tim Curry and Stephen King.

In the original, the clown was more appeasing and friendly. He generally was a clown that kids would love and not feel frightened. The movie wasn't too gory and did not include a lot of jump scares. It was mainly a massive feeling of tension because you didn't know what would come next.

27 years later, a remake has finally emerged. As a fan of Tim Curry, and horror, I was a little hesitant at first; until I saw the trailer. I mean, who doesn't get a little hesitant if one of their favorite movies has a remake? After "patiently" waiting, I eventually watched it, and this is my review.

***ATTENTION SPOILERS***

In the beginning of the movie I already knew the entire sewer scene, so I didn't really expect much. However, I was very wrong. The boy obviously fell for the clown, and then I just expected to see him yell and bam, next scene.

However, the clown decided to rip his arm off, and then George crawled away screaming for help (of course nobody answered) and then he was dragged under. At this point, I just buckled down and basically just realized, DAMN this is nothing like the original.

Throughout the movie, it shows how everyone fears the clown; very similar to the original. It was equally different though. Such as; seeing all the children's home life besides Bill and George's. Yet you don't see Ben's home life, like it was massively portrayed in the first movie. Having that aspect in movie was a good idea, because it makes you realize that these are just kids who actually have a home life and it gives off the sympathetic effect.

I also realized that the fears were so uniquely different, and how creative the movie was. Whenever Ben was "hunting burnt easter eggs," you suddenly see him being chased by a child who had no head from an accident way back when Pennywise starting his killings in the 1800's. Yet they coined comedic effect by having the clown saying weird lines to the children to give off humor (such as a clown would typically do to appease children).

Of course, there was a ton of jump scares and honestly nothing says horror like a broken house with a well leading to the clown's tunnel. But the scariest part was the realization of fear. In the end when the clown is being beaten by the children, he says "Fear" and falls into the abyss; obviously leading to the conclusion of the second part.

Throughout the movie you see these children act based off of fear, and it poses the question, "how do adults act based off of fear? How do people in general face fear?"

Because the entire time as I was judging these 10 year children easily falling into the clowns trap, I ended up noticing that they are not so different compared to adults. So it makes you wonder what fear is, and how you as person would handle it.

The only negative part was Beverly Marsh being portrayed as a sex symbol to all of the boys who are entering the stages of puberty. Instead of the children acting like children, it shows them gawking at her while she is tanning next to them. Or how she, once again, was Ben's crush and ended up kissing Bill a lot in the end. Or when her father kept saying she was his little girl and almost raped her. Or when there was rumors going around stating she had sex with Henry Bowers and his friends.

There were just so many implications of her being a sex symbol and it was way too cringe worthy. The movie should have never had her as a sex symbol for her friends because they're children and it is a little odd seeing the movie being focused on them having a serious crush on her. The movie was supposed to be about a clown wanting to kill them, not boys hitting puberty.

Overall the movie was well done and I am astonished on how it was so well done. Bill Skarsgard was a great clown and the movie was directed very well. The graphics was equally as good. I mean, we're not going to discuss how badass the carousel of dead children floating in the sky looked. Anyways, the movie was exceptional and I absolutely loved it. It was orginial, but it wasn't and that was a perfect amount.