Five Songs To Add To Your Playlist While Social Distancing

Times of uncertainty can be tough, but these songs are bound to improve your mood.

21

Ever since I was a child my father instilled a love for music in me. I grew up with good music on the boombox at all times of the day and attended my first concert at the ripe age of 5 (it was James Taylor...I told you my dad has a great taste in music). I recently had a friend tell me "Kat, I don't think I ever realized how much music you genuinely know like you love music" and I took that as such an amazing compliment. The truth is I do love music of all kinds and often find myself curating a monthly playlist so wildly across the board Spotify can't even classify my "Daily Mix" playlists into specific areas. I've been to everything from One Direction to Travis Scott to well, James Taylor concerts and loved them all the same. Given the current state of the world, we often need a distraction from the craziness of it all. Music can be an incredible resource to make you forget your troubles and let go for a while. I have always used music as an escape and a cheap form of therapy whenever I'm not quite feeling "right". The world can be scary, but I promise you can find your escape in some sort of music. So from me to you, here are some of my top songs right now to change up that self-isolation routine:

The Bones - Maren Morris

The last few weeks have been the opposite of quiet for country star Maren Morris. In the midst of the pandemic frenzy, we've all been experiencing she and her husband Ryan Hurd welcomed their first child and she has watched her single "The Bones" skyrocket to the top of the charts. This song embodies the mindset we all should remember to have right now as it embraces shameless and prideful love. I often think of my family when listening to this song and remember that through all of the uncertainty we currently face, the dust will settle and we will all be okay because in the words of Maren herself, "the house don't fall when the bones are good". BTW, if you didn't think you could love this song anymore, listen to her beautiful rendition featuring Hozier. Talk about a tear-jerker.

Sunflower Vol. 6 - Harry Styles

If you know me, you know Harry Styles is my guy. Everything from his music to his style to his message - I am an unwavering stan. His sophomore album Fine Line has gained the praises of critics and fans alike, and if you take a listen you'll see why. Rock and roll legend Stevie Nicks recently sang her praises and revealed it's been inspiring her creativity during self-isolation...if that isn't a testament to its quality I'm just not sure what is. The song Sunflower Vol. 6 embodies the feeling of warm sunlight on your skin and the color yellow. It's the sort of song you'd listen to with the windows down on a warm summer afternoon, the mood-enhancing anthem we all could use a little bit of right now. Harry let his creative juices flow with this one and it shows. And while you're at it you might as well listen to the rest of the album because well, what else are you going to do to pass the time?

How to Be Human - Chelsea Cutler

I recently had the chance to see Chelsea Cutler in concert and let me say, that girl is going places. This song is the title track and my stand out favorite on her recent debut album. It's an anthem for all young people going through that sticky transition where you're technically an adult but you don't really know where to even start in that department. You can't tell me the lyric "thought I'd know it all by 21, but I still don't know how to be human" isn't a little bit relatable. This song is a fun dance track that reminds us all that it's all going to be okay. The last few weeks have brought so much uncertainty to an already stressful and uncertain time in our lives, and it's nice to hear that you're not the only one who's feeling unsure and anxious. We're still growing and learning how to be human all the same.

Love You For A Long Time - Maggie Rogers

Maggie Rogers is one of my favorite new artists. She's a young, vibrant singer who gained her fame after Pharrell heard her work during a master class while attending NYU. Since then she has rubbed shoulders with the likes of Kacey Musgraves and John Mayer. Maggie's music is lighthearted and free while still being powerful and meaningful. Love You For A Long Time is a carefree ballad about being in love and embracing it, as she realizes she's going to love this person for a long, long time. A little bit of love can go a long way, and this song is a great reminder that in the midst of it all, we still have to keep that love.

Break My Heart - Dua Lipa

Dance party anyone? Early reviews of Dua's sophomore album Future Nostalgia are promising powerful anthems that tackle everything from equality and female sexuality to heartbreak and relationships. The lead singles from the album topped the charts without hesitation and this song is quick to follow. This song - and Dua's entire discography - show us exactly what the pop world has been missing and are bound to make your monotonous quarantine routine a little bit more fun and funky. So take a few minutes to hop out of bed and get moving to this bop we're all bound to relate to on some level.