On Behalf Of Broke College Kids, It's Time To Stop Money-Shaming

On Behalf Of All The Broke College Kids Out There, It's Time To Stop Money-Shaming

You think I have money? My Wells Fargo app begs to differ.

192
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inUTh1rxo7M
You probably can't hear me with those Air Pods in because I'm too broke.

That's always the joke, but it's kind of true.

It's a ritual for most college kids to be low in cash. I could blame multiple different factors, like no time to work, tuition, or simply that I spent all of my cash during summer.

The definition for me means that instead of shopping at Target, I'm getting accustomed to Food Lion's MVP card and off-brand chips. For example, instead of buying a pack of Milano Cookies and Hot Cheetos, I bought a box of La Croix on sale. The only reason (other than the fact that La Croix is heavenly) is that it gives me the illusion I'm high class because I'm drinking flavored sparkly water instead of from a water fountain.

Our arguments are no longer on what restaurant to go to, but what brand of instant Mac and Cheese is better, which by the way, is Kraft (fight me on that.) I actually have to check on my bank app before agreeing to make plans, even though I'll end up saying "yes." Worst of all, I hate it when my friends say "It's only $20" or "Just pay me back later when you have cash."

It's all a trap.

$20 is a fourth of my bank account on a good day and chances are that you won't get a Venmo from me anytime soon. But don't get me wrong, I'll pay you back one day.

High-school me wasn't embarrassed to ask my parents for field trip money, but college me dreads calling my dad about that $150 textbook that I can't afford. College actually made me more responsible; I count my pennies and think before I swipe my card. Most people don't feel a sense of burden when they purchase basic things, but I've gotten to the point where I feel bad about buying a roll of paper towels. The high you get from graduation money ends and you're left on a college campus with no job and a list full of textbooks to buy, while you also try to stay alive.

Learning from my mistakes from first semester, I now know that DB is valuable, and it is very easy to use all $300 at Chick-fil-a. Some tips I've learned are to buy books used if you can and spend your money on only things you need, plus a Cookout tray every once and a while.

It's okay to mess around sometimes and spend $50 on crappy Travis Scott concert tickets, as long as you sacrifice food for the next month. It's fine if you get water instead of the drink you actually want at restaurants, which is usually Dr. Pepper for me. It is sort of okay to not donate to the charity at the checkout line, even though the cashier judges for saying no (I always say "no," so you're not alone).

Don't let other people's bank account change the fact that you are broke; it will only make you feel worse.