What Not To Do As A College Freshman, From Somebody Who Made Mistakes

Freshman Year? Been There, Done That — But You Don't Have To Make My Mistakes

Advice to a incoming freshman as to what I would have done differently.

1181
Julia Smith

Freshman year. So many memories were made in this first transition of life. Four years designated for learning about what you're going to do for the rest of your life and onto of that making time to meet your greatest friends. There's a lot of pressure on the line, but going into my freshman year I honestly fretted for nothing. Heres what you should do and trust me your freshman year will be close to perfect.

Now, don't get me wrong, I had a great first year of college, especially at Bama. The campus is picture perfect, game day is like a Super Bowl every day, and don't even get me started on TACO MAMA!

You Will Make Friends

Coming from an out of state student, there was a point of time I was worried that my only friends were going to be my roommates. Lucky for you, you will go to class and encounter humans. Don't be afraid to reach out to the person next to you and exchange numbers. There are many events on campus to help you find your friends.

There Are No Popular Kids

Personally, I didn't like high school and didn't have that sisterhood connection with my school friends. Lucky for you there are no cliques in college. Everyone finds there people and respects the others within their learning environment. Usually, when you're in your classes, most students share the same interest in the subject you're learning. This is the transition to adulthood and you will meet your friends to share these memories you're.

Freshman 15?

Not going to lie, this happened to me until I recognized that I was stress eating. College is a change in stress level with all of the new transitions with finals and all. My advice to is with all the working you do from class to class, you will balance from the little treats you indulge in. Don't deprive yourself but acknowledge if you're eating more than usual. Maybe take a free workout class at the rec!

Its OK to Change

Either you know exactly what you want to major in or have no idea what you want to do for a living, its ok to go with the flow. College is the opportunity to learn from your experiences and people you meet during college and may change your perspective on your idea occupation. There will be times where you're doubting your decision, but you have a counselor to help you along the way and have four years to figure it all out!

And finally... Have Fun!

I know you come to college to learn, but make time in your schedule to unwind and live in the moment with your friends. you don't need to go out every night to fulfill your fun bug, and hanging out with your girls having a movie night or just enjoying some ice cream will fulfill you. these are where your memories are made and will be the years you look back at and will be the times you will never forget!

Have fun and step outside of your comfort zone!