Miss K-State 2016: Christine Rock

Miss K-State 2016: Christine Rock

After rapping her way to the crown, Christine Rock is ready for her reign as Miss K-State 2016.

63
Miss K-State 2016: Christine Rock
The Miss K-State Competition

Christine Rock took the stage the night of the annual Miss K-State competition unsure of what to expect. After blowing everyone away with her unique talent of rapping and showing the crowd why she was passionate about food security and ending hunger, she was crowned Miss K-State 2016. I had the opportunity to speak with her about her experience.

What organization were you representing in Miss K-State?

I was representing Kappa Alpha Theta, the first Greek-lettered fraternity known among women.

What made you decide to participate?

My lovely chapter nominated me, but I ultimately accepted because I knew it would give me the ability to speak on the issues I think are important on a super unique stage. Addressing the issue of hunger and food insecurity on our campus, as well as throughout the rest of the world, is so critical. It's a problem that's going to take all of us to fix, so the more people I can make aware, the better.

What did you do to prepare for the competition?

The talent portion took the longest for me to prepare for, for sure. "Alphabet Aerobics" by Blackalicious has so many words. I learned most of it on long car rides, but I made flashcards, listened to the original version on my way to class, and made my poor friends listen to me practice over and over and over. I can confidently say, though, it is in my head and it is never leaving. The career portion also took some prep. My parents and I were going over ideas when I was home over spring break, and my dad goes, let's do this! We went to Home Depot to buy the wood and other supplies and crafted and primed my pantry triangle/box all that night before I drove back to school the next day. My dad was the real MVP on that one.

What were you most excited about leading up to the competition? What were you most nervous about?

I was most nervous about my rap, but equally excited. I had been practicing that thing daily in the month leading up to the competition. I was pumped to share what I'd been working so hard on.

What was the best part about the experience besides winning?

The best part about the experience was the challenge itself. One of my favorite pieces of life advice is from Eleanor Roosevelt, "Do one thing every day that scares you." Let me tell you, I was slightly terrified that day.

What are you most looking forward to in your reign as Miss K-State?

The title comes with the opportunity to have some media exposure, so I'm looking forward to using my platform to advocate for hunger and food security. Well-filled bellies are the first step to a better world, and I hope to share their importance with our awesome community.

What does Miss K-State eat for breakfast on an average day?

It depends on how late I wake up. Lately, I've been grabbing a cup of Greek yogurt and eating it with a spoon on my way to class. When I have enough time, Theta's Chef T makes some mean breakfast burritos and stuffed french toast.

If you could meet any famous person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

I would love to meet Amy Poehler. Her role as Leslie Knope on the TV show "Parks and Recreation" is one of the main reasons I got seriously into political activism in the first place. I'm now planning on making a career out of it, and I'm forever grateful for her influence.

Where are you from? What is your major?

I'm a Kansas Citian, but I've lived in Iowa, Ohio, and Texas before calling Olathe, Kansas home. I'm majoring in Food Science and Political Science and minoring in Non-Profit leadership.

What is one thing most people do not know about you?

If I wasn't so into food and finding ways to feed people, I would be a DJ. Hand me the aux cord and I'm in my zone.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Oh, for sure Christian Bale. I've seen the "Dark Knight" trilogy way too many times and I firmly believe that he is the best version of Bruce Wayne/Batman the world will ever know.

Favorite TV Show/Netflix series or movie?

I have two. I watch "Scandal" when I want to get in the mood to conquer the world and I watch "New Girl" when I feel like my world is getting too serious.

Why did you choose K-State?

This is about to get annoyingly sappy, but bear with me. Manhattan was about the closest thing to a hometown for me growing up. I never actually lived here until I went to college, but with my dad's job, our family moved around quite a bit. Each move turned out to be an awesome experience for me, but no matter where we lived, we came back to Manhattan a few times a year to see our extended family who live in the area. Also, my parents graduated from here, one of my grandfathers was a professor for the university, and a few other family members have various positions within the college. I've always associated K-State and the Manhattan community with my real life family. With a college so focused on fostering a family atmosphere on top of that, I knew this was the place for me.

If you could only say one phrase for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

One thing my dad says to me from time to time is "Do whatcha do." I like that, I think I could say that forever.

If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

I honestly don't read very many books, I'm sorry to say. However, I start every morning on my New York Times Now app to get caught up on what's happening around the world.

What is one thing that everyone should know about you?

I want people to know that the main reason I participated in the Miss K-State competition was so that I could advocate for hunger and food insecurity.

How does it feel to be Miss K-State?

It feels so flip flopping cool. I can't wait to take on the duties of Miss K-State.