Misconceptions About New Jersey Because Of 'The Jersey Shore'

Not so "Dirty Jersey"

499
Flickr

I think that New Jersey is one of the most beautiful places in the country. It has some of the most beautiful towns, most delicious food (taylor ham), and the most stunning shoreline of any state in the surrounding area.

Unfortunately, the beautiful Jersey Shore and the entire state surrounding it has been given a very specific, and mostly inaccurate, representation of what New Jersey is all about.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love a good guido get together as much as the next person; I was even voted ‘Most Likely to be On Reality TV’ in High School.

However, once I got to Wake Forest and told everyone that I was from New Jersey, there were numerous occasions where I was asked “Is Snooki your cousin?”, “How often do you Gym, Tan, Laundry??”, and of course “How fun is the club Karma?!” As much as I would love to tell these people that you can always find me fist pumping in underage clubs in Seaside Heights; this is far from the truth.

First of all, none of these people are even from New Jersey, and as entertaining as they may be, I cannot have them tarnishing the great name of my beautiful state. Find out which stereotypes have been put in place by this hilarious group of guidos.

I do not know a single person who has ever gotten a spray tan, except for some girls right before prom.

Seriously this hobby is fake.

I’m not kidding these people need to get their addiction under control.

Not every girl from New Jersey enjoys physical altercation.

Seriously I’ve never seen any sort of fight like this.

Us guys enjoy looking nice, but we never put more attention into our hair than maybe brushing it.

I’ve never met anyone who used the gel that Pauly D must have an abundance of.

We take the law very seriously here in New Jersey.

Our choice of clothing is a bit different.

I wish there was a T-Shirt time, but sadly this just does not exist.

I didn’t even know New Jersey had cabs, but these folks found them!

No human being can out drink this crew.

I’m serious their capabilities should be regarded as a talent.

I promise New Jersey water does not taste like a vodka soda.

Dance styles are a bit different on the show than in reality.

I only did a fist bump once at an 8th-grade dance and immediately regretted it.

Our egos just aren’t this inflated. But props to Pauly because confidence is key.

Not all New Jersey residents have Deena’s same self-confidence.

We simply are not this dramatic.

These facial expressions are far too much for any New Jerseyan to handle in reality.

As fun as they are to laugh at, and as much as they have shattered the wonderful reputation of New Jersey, they truly are a lovable crew.