Minors To Consider

You may have your major picked out and your path planned out, but can you say the same for your minor? Minors are really important – almost as important as your major! If you do not have your minor path planned, I have compiled a list of different minors you might want to consider.

As a pre-health major, having a minor in health and exercise science is a good idea, just in case you do not get into your intended field the first time you apply. Having this as a backup can still get you a job as your work towards your ultimate goal.

If you are in Gaylord, having a minor in communication or public affairs and administration would be beneficial because they deal with major public events and you will know how to appeal to the different audiences. Plus, it would be a bonus for your resume.

For business majors, an economics minor, or maybe even a minor in international enterprise studies, will be more appealing to potential employers and this could help you get the job over somebody who doesn’t have as much knowledge and experience as you.

Want to work in politics or get into law school at some point?  A minor in political science, constitutional studies or Latin will give you an edge over the competition. For constitutional studies, all the classes about the constitution tell the admissions board at a law school that you went above and beyond to expand your knowledge of the law. Latin is used often in law. Many root words are derived from Latin and if you minor in Latin, you are more likely to be successful while trying to learn the law.

To make your resume or portfolio more diverse, or if you want to work with people from different cultures, a minor in African and African American studies, Native American studies or Native sustainability would be perfect for you.

As a psychology or sociology major, diversify your resume by minoring in the opposite! OU also offers a minor in social justice. The OU websites states that a minor in social justice will, “utilize multidisciplinary and feminist approaches that recognize the struggles for liberation and the importance of social movements, advocacy, and activism locally and globally.”

A language minor is always a good idea. Whether it’s Arabic, Mandarin, Classical Greek, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian or Spanish, OU has a great selection of foreign language minor choices. Spanish as a minor would be a good idea for an education major or anyone who will work directly with people. Since America is becoming more and more diversified, being bilingual greatly increases your potential for success in the job market and on the job.

When you have a free minute, look up all of the minors OU has to offer. And for those of you looking to get your MRS degree, we even have medieval and renaissance studies, which according to the OU website, focuses on “medieval and Renaissance arts, literature, history, science, and philosophy.”