Miley Cyrus Is Coming
Politics

Miley Cyrus Is Coming

Taking a look back at the music career of Miley Cyrus right as her new era starts.

87
Miley Cyrus Is Coming

On May 9th, American singer-songwriter and actress Miley Cyrus started to tease a new musical era on her social media with three separate videos that said "She Is Coming". A few days later, it was announced on her social media that she would be releasing this new music on May 31st. On May 27th, Cyrus confirmed she would be releasing an extended play, also known as a mini album, titled “She Is Coming" on May 31st.

Miley Cyrus officially started her own career without the Hannah Montana name in 2007. So far, Cyrus has achieved three US number-one albums with "Meet Miley Cyrus" in 2007, "Breakout" in 2008, and "Bangerz" in 2013.

Her other releases "The Time of Our Lives" in 2009, "Can't Be Tamed" in 2010, and "Younger Now" in 2017 charted in the top-five in the United States, while her album "Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz" in 2015 was released for free online on the streaming service Soundcloud.

Cyrus has eight top-ten entries on the US Billboard Hot 100 with "See You Again", "7 Things", "The Climb", "Party in the USA", "Can't Be Tamed", "We Can't Stop", "Wrecking Ball", and "Malibu".

With new Miley Cyrus music on the way, I thought I would celebrate by ranking her six studio albums and one extended play from her worst album to her best album.

Younger Now (2017)

In my opinion, this is her worst album to date. The country-pop inspired album was very boring compared to her earlier albums. None of the songs are that rememberable honestly because of the songwriting doesn't have a lot of depth to it.

The standout tracks on this album for me are "Malibu" and the title track.

Meet Miley Cyrus (2007)

Note: Her debut album was a double album with the season two soundtrack for Hannah Montana. "Meet Miley Cyrus" starts at "See You Again" and ends with "I Miss You".

For releasing the album at the young age of 15, the album is good for that time. She has obviously matured and changed in the past 12 years but is impressive as a young teen in the late 2000s.

Listening back to it now, it feels like the songs were kind of randomly put together or they sound like they could be sung on the tv show.

The standout tracks on this album for me are "See You Again", "G.N.O. (Girls Night Out)", and "Start All Over".

Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz (2015)

I do like the risk Cyrus took, music wise, after the commercial success and culture phenomenon of her previous album. The main reason I don't like this album as much as her others are because of the length of the album with a total of over 92 minutes long. If she cut the album in half, I think this album would be higher up on my list.

The standout tracks on this album for me include "Space Bootz", "Lighter", "Tangerine", "Cyrus Skies", and "1 Sun".

Breakout (2008)

For releasing the album at the young age of 16, the album is great. The album is definitely more mature than her debut album.

I think since this is her first album that isn't affiliated with Hannah Montana, it feels a little more personal than anything she has released before.

She has obviously matured and changed in the past 11 years but is very impressive as a teen in the late 2000s.

The standout tracks on this album for me are "7 Things", her cover of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", and "Fly On The Wall".

The Time of Our Lives (2009)

I like this album because it showcase Cyrus stepping into adulthood with stepping more way from her Disney Channel star image. The album is short, sweet and gets to the point.

The only downside to this album is it doesn't feel super personal since she didn't get to write any of the songs except one.

The standout tracks on this album for me are her cover of "Kicking and Screaming", "Party In The USA", "When I Look At You", and the live rendition of "Before The Storm".

Can't Be Tamed (2010)

I love this album for many reasons. The album featured a more dance-oriented sound than her prior releases which is one of my favorite genres of music.

At the time, it was the first time I felt like Cyrus had control over her image so I was generally happy for her when she released this album. When this album came out, I would play this album over and over again. This album is just very nostalgic for me.

The standout tracks on this album for me include "Who Owns My Heart", the title track, her cover of "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", and "Robot".

Bangerz (2013)

In my opinion, this is her best album to date. I'm still in love with this album as much as I was when it released six years ago. The album is full of bangers, pun intended and features collaborations with some of the best artists in business like Britney Spears and Big Sean.

Style-wise, it is full of hip-hop songs, pop songs with trap beats, and a little bit of country. Cyrus had finally taken control of her music career and image. I feel like you can feel that in control energy while listening to the album.

The standout tracks on this album for me include "Adore You", "Drive", Do My Thang", and "Someone Else".