Michelle Obama: The Role Model America Needed

Thank you for being you, FLOTUS

2458
Parade

Last week we were graced with a truly inspiring and motivational speech by First-Lady Michelle Obama. Sadly, these words would be a part of Michelle’s final remarks from the White House.

In the last 8 years, the Obama family has given the American people so much to reflect on. The first lady took initiative to keep kids in school, to promote higher education, making “the largest investment in higher education since the G.I. bill”. She advocated women’s rights, and gave young girls a voice to stand up for themselves and what they believe in. I truly believe in my heart of hearts that she is no where close to being finished with the American people. Even after she leaves the White House, I feel that we will continue to be moved by the philanthropic acts and kindness that Mrs. Obama has exuded throughout both of her husband’s terms.

In honor of this strong and graceful woman’s actions over the past eight years, here are just a few things that make us thankful for Michelle Obama and the epic FLOTUS she has been.

Michelle gave a very powerful speech at the Democratic National Convention in support of Hillary Clinton. While the speech itself was extremely memorable, one phrase really stood out above the rest as a true tell of the heart behind the first family. These words that she urges her family to live by are ones that every American citizen should keep within their minds and hearts. Whether it be within our own personal lives, political views or endeavors, or the most difficult of situations we may face, the first lady believes that we should handle it with the grace of the high road.

WOMEN'S RIGHTS. WOMEN'S RIGHTS. WOMEN'S RIGHTS.

Just making sure I say it loud enough for the people in the back. The 2016 election was a letdown for women all across the country. We fear losing access to women's healthcare, the regression of our rights to our own bodies, and the thought of continuing to be stepped on by men who are more concerned with old beliefs than the well being and ideals of women of the 21st century. Remember her words. Remember her encouragement. We are all strong and we are all important.

Use this as your 2017 motto ladies and gentlemen. Be yourself. Always. & make sure to surround yourself with people who will ultimately bring out your best qualities and help you to succeed.

She is smart and she revels in it. If we are uneducated then we cannot appropriately tackle the issues that are plaguing our country. She spent years working on making education accessible and affordable for the children and young adults of America.

She encouraged us all to take chances, despite any fear or reservations we may have for the unknown. Change comes from a mixture of belief and risk. If you want it bad enough, take the leap!

If you have not watched her final regards from The White House yet, I strongly urge you to. Her words are the sum total of her eight years spent representing the American people, the women of the world, and a society that needs to stand united.

"And as I end my time in The White House, I can think of no better message to send to our young people in my last official remarks as first lady. So for all of the young people in this room, and all those who are watching, know that this country belongs to you. To all of you. From every background and walk of life. If you or your parents are immigrants, know that you are part of a proud American tradition; the infusion of new cultures, talents and ideas. Generation after generation, that has made us the greatest country on earth. If your family doesn't have much money, I want you to remember that in this country, plenty of folks - including me and my husband - we started out with very little. But with a lot of hard work, and a good education, anything is possible. Even becoming President. That's what the American dram is all about."

- Michelle Obama, Final Speech

Thank you, FLOTUS. You are so valued and will truly be missed.