May The Force Be With You: Applying The Jedi Code To Everyday Life

Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter.

281
wallpaper cave

Recently I had to take a trip to the Emergency Room and while filling out the supplied forms, the nurse asked if I had any religious preference I wanted to have notated. It took all the strength I could muster to not tell her to mark down Jedi. Because although I am not a religious person, the tenants of the Jedi are the closest thing to spirituality that I follow.

There are some things that you learn in life that always stay with you. Some words of wisdom that keep returning to your mind and your heart throughout the course of your life. For me, it's the code of the Jedi. It's funny, because although I can't remember the first time or place that I heard it, it has always arisen in my thoughts, particularly during trying times. I find that when I am anxious, or upset, or just need a good focus point for my mind (like while working out at the gym), I mentally recite the Jedi code to center myself. Yes, it's a part of the fictional universe of Star Wars, and yes, it may or may not be something that works for you, but in my opinion it is something that can relate to everyday contemporary life.

1) There is no emotion, there is peace
This is my favorite one, to be honest. Emotions, while fantastic, can sometimes be overpowering and can lead to you losing focus, particularly when you are afraid or angry. When your mind is focused and at peace, it's easier to concentrate on the task at hand and preform it more diligently. So next time you are panicking about a test, try and calm your mind and find your inner peace.

2) There is no chaos, there is harmony.
The world is a chaotic place, there's no doubt about that. Just look at all the murder and famine that occur throughout the world. Not to mention the current political situation in this country! But if you take a step back, you can see that harmony still exists. And if you have a hard time seeing it on the larger scale, apply it to your own personal life. Strive to maintain a balance within yourself that will provide a light you can shine on the world around you. Be a light in the darkness. That's your harmony.

3) There is no ignorance, there is knowledge
You can look at this in two ways. The first is in a literal sense. The pursuit of knowledge is one of the greatest and most fulfilling things you can ever do for yourself. You are never to old to learn something new. But you can also look at it in the sense of having knowledge of yourself. True knowledge which you can use to rid yourself of self imposed limitations, and to reach for the sky to accomplish your dreams.

4) There is no passion, there is serenity
I personally always have trouble with this one, because I am a hugely passionate person. And I am a huge believer in the things that passion can accomplish. However there are some times that your passion can cloud your thoughts and decisions. Again, this is where balance comes into play. If you temper passion with serenity, you can remain focused on your personal goals.

5) There is no death, there is the Force
This is wonderfully comforting, especially when you consider loved ones that have passed on. In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it transforms from one form to another. This isn't fantasy. It isn't religion. It's science. So really, if you think about it, our loved ones never really leave us.

This is the Jedi code as interpreted by little old me. You may get nothing out of it, or you may get something out of it that I don't see. The point is, it's just another way of looking at the world.