list of ways to make friends in college

Making Friends In College Is Hard But These 5 Tips Should Help You Out

How to make meaningful friendships as an adult.

101
https://www.pexels.com/photo/group-of-friends-hanging-out-933964/

Making friends in college is hard, so here are a few tips on how to do it.

1. Join a Club

Give a man a fish and he may eat for a day. Teach a man how to make a boat out of cardboard and he will quickly realize that this is not a useful life skill.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/codnewsroom/15430449308

There are dozens of clubs at every college, and they're filled to the brim with fun new people. Find one that sounds like you'd enjoy it and go to a meeting. Since I joined my college's creative writing group, I have met my girlfriend, I've made some of my closest friends, and I've become the treasurer of the group. It's completely changed my college experience and it remains one of my best decisions.

Of course, not all clubs are going to be perfect for you. Watch out if there seems to be an excessive amount of clique-like behavior or drama. The amount of social headache that's going to cause is probably not going to be worth it in the long run, so try to find a more laid-back group.

2. Grab a bite with someone new

Note: college food is NOT this edible

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Friends_eating_lunch_in_diner_(Unsplash).jpg

Just ask someone that group of people you sort of know from class if they're going to lunch on campus and if you can tag along. If they're good people to have as friends, they'll probably be happy to have you. Everybody has to eat, and the lunch room is a great place to make new friends.

I understand telling an introverted person to go talk to someone new is a pretty terrifying idea, so this is probably more helpful to rather extroverted people.

3. Make jokes in class

class jokes

Okay, so I know you're going to college to learn stuff, but like, a little whispering in class is fine. No one wants to be friends with that guy who tattles on people telling jokes in class. Just try not to annoy your professors with constant inane chatter.

4. Make a study group

"I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea what I'm talking about."

https://pixabay.com/en/read-book-club-med-girls-the-study-753891/

Ask some people from class if they want to start a study group in the library. With any luck, you'll find out that you have some really smart and funny classmates and you'll be able to get some studying done. That's a pretty good two-for-one deal, wouldn't you say?

5. Go to events on campus

https://www.flickr.com/photos/visitelpaso/24219178529

Chances are your college organizes a bunch of coffeehouses, book readings, concerts, etc. Go to a few and strike up a conversation with the people next to you. If you're musically or poetically talented, you should sign up to perform at a coffeehouse or two. There's no better icebreaker than someone telling you how much they liked your music.

Cool fun people meet other cool fun people outside of their home, so get out there and have a better life!