Make Music, Not War

Make Music, Not War

Use music to spread positivity and send a powerful message to the world.

173
Make Music, Not War
Juliana Mamani & @RelaxMaxapparel

I decided to post this segment due to recent events. Love triumphs all. We must stand up and speak up for our rights, but we do have to remember to not become the one thing we are all unifying ourselves against. Know that music will never leave you alone. Use the power of music to come together and become a whole. Music does make a difference, I've seen it happen. So remember to always make music, not war.

First legend: Michael Jackson

MJ, the "King of Pop," touched the hearts of millions around the world. He was the greatest pop legend and will always remain an inspiration to all.

"I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change"

His song, "Man in The Mirror," literally states that if we want to make a difference we must start with ourselves. Use the power of music to find yourself. Once you do, use that gift to help others.

Second legend: Madonna

Madonna changed pop music by adding a spice of controversy. She never cared about what others thought, she was always herself. Madonna's style definitely helped girls come out of their inner shell, which made her the inspiration she is today.

"All you need is your own imagination
So use it that's what it's for
Go inside, for your finest inspiration
Your dreams will open the door
It makes no difference if you're black or white
If you're a boy or a girl
If the music's pumping it will give you new life
You're a superstar, yes, that's what you are, you know it"
- Vogue

Follow your heart and your dreams. Who cares what other people think, you're a superstar! Own what you got. Make the kind of music YOU want, not what others expect from you.

Third legend: Cher

Another beautiful female who did not care what others thought of her. Cher became extremely successful in a male-dominated industry. She didn't only sing, she did, well, basically everything. Her variety of styles inspired many. She is the clear example of how, yes, a woman can do everything and everything.

"We never settled, went from town to town
When you're not welcome you don't hang around
The other children always laughed at me
"Give her a feather, she's a Cherokee"
Half-breed, that's all I ever heard
Half-breed, how I learned to hate the word
Half-breed, she's no good they warned
Both sides were against me since the day I was born
We weren't accepted and I felt ashamed"
- Half-Breed

Know that the color of your skin, the root of your religion, the root of your culture and who you love does not define who you are. YOU define who you are. If anyone dares to negatively comment on any of those aspects then let them. That clearly demonstrates the kind of person they are. Never stoop so low to argue with them. Remember that love can triumph hate. Cher talks about being half Cherokee, which made me think back to the devastating incidents occurring in Dakota. Their strength inspires me everyday. They are fighting for not just for their own basic human rights, but for all of us to have access to clean drinking water. We must stay together and make sure that no one, not even a "president" can take our human rights away. Our voice is our music; use it to your advantage, but never to start a war.

Fourth legend: David Bowie

David Bowie renovated pop music. His visual style inspired many to be free with their art and dreams.

"Terror of knowing
What the world is about
Watching some good friends Screaming
'Let me out'
Pray tomorrow gets me higher
Pressure on people people on streets"
- Under Pressure (with Queen)

We are all currently under pressure, whether that is to make something out of ourselves or go make this world a better place. We have to stick to what we believe in and conquer all. Most successful events occur under pressure. Trick your brain into thinking you have everything under control because you do, you just don't want to believe in yourself. Always remember who you are and don't give in to what others want from you. Use music to help you guide the way. You can do it, just breathe.

Fifth legend: Dolly Parton

Dolly Parton changed the country music industry. She gave hope to many upcoming female country singers and inspired many artists today. She also had many successes in different fields, not letting anyone stop her from thriving.

"I can see you're disappointed
By the way you look at me
And I'm sorry that I'm not the woman you thought I'd be
Yes, I've made my mistakes
But listen and understand
My mistakes are no worse than yours
Just because I'm a woman"
-Just Because I'm a Woman

Ladies never NEVER apologize to a man for simply being a woman. Do not quiver under the traditional norms of how we are suppose to "behave." We are more than just a "housewife," we have dreams and ambition. We have strength and love. Always remain together, girls, because no one man will her tear us down. If people expect you to be a certain way because you are a female, simply do not listen. Be whoever YOU want to be, not what society demands of you. YOUR BODY, YOUR CHOICE.

Sixth legend: Johnny Cash

Mr. Cash was the most influential overall musician in the 20th century. His music inspired a hint of rebellious time among the people with a hint of redemption. He wrote and sung in a variety of different genres which gave him the crossover image.

"When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son,
Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.
But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die
When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry..
I bet there's rich folks eating in a fancy dining car
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars.
Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free
But those people keep a movin'
And that's what tortures me..."
- Folsom Prison Blues

The lyrics speak for themselves.

Final legend: Selena Quintanilla

Selena was one of the first and most inspiring Mexican-American artists in the country. She was know to be the female version of Madonna for her striking sense of style and due to the way she carried herself. She definitely challenged Hispanic gender norms by proving that Hispanic women are more than meets the eye. We are destined for greatest, not to abide by our husbands rules. Such a genuine-true inspiration.

"Cause I'm dreaming of you tonight
Till tomorrow I'll be holding you tight
And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be
Than here in my room dreaming about you and me
Wonder if you ever see me
And I wonder if you know I'm there
If you looked in my eyes
Would you see what's inside
Would you even care?"
- Dreaming of You

Spread love, positivity and strength. You can go anything you set your mind to. Use music to help you creative a piece of mind. Make music, not war.