The Struggle Of Choosing A College Major

I have had two majors so far and might be making it three in a few short months. Why is this such a struggle for me?

36

I have had my ups and downs in terms of majors. When I first enrolled at SUNY Potsdam, I was an English Literature major who planned to work in creative arts therapy. I then changed to Communications. Now after a year of being a Communications major, I have grown incredibly bored with it. It is not uncommon for a college student to change their majors, but I have found that sticking with a major is truly a struggle.

I have recently been looking into other schools because of my love for photography. I realized then that I might change my major to a third major-- that would be digital media production. I find my main reason for changing majors is because I am a very creative person and I have a hard time putting out my creativity through only one thing, and I have difficulty with structure.

This creative struggle has constantly caused me to leave things I was previously a part of, such as sports teams. When I am unable to show my creativity in different ways, I find it hard to work on things such as research papers. Being confined to one topic is extremely boring to me and not being able to flip flop makes it even more difficult. So I always end up doing projects and papers right before they're due. This could be seen as a negative to some, but a positive to others.

But this goes along with my struggle involving my major. I know for a fact I love photography and I love to write and knit and craft and do creative things, but not being able to do everything I love at one time makes it difficult for me. I will not be surprised if I become the forty something year old with multiple degrees in many different things because I can't just pick one. I wish I was like those people that always knew what they wanted to study and just absolutely love their major. That just seems a lot easier. But instead I'm stuck in major limbo where I bounce from major to major trying to find something that doesn't bore me.

Communications used to be interesting to me when I first started, but once we got into the technicalities of it and all this stuff about rhetoric, I suddenly became bored and started to hate it. This has happened numerous times to me with numerous different things, like when I took tap dance as a child or when I joined girl scouts or any other activity you can think a little girl would take up. My greatest fear is boredom, so I'm just hoping to soon defeat that fear by finding a major that isn't such a struggle for me to have.

But for right now, I really am suffering from a major struggle.