7 Ways To React To Someone Who Doesn't Get Your Major

"What can you do with that?"

197

As a Biology major, I haven’t often encountered the “what can you do with that?” sort of criticism. But since I’ve added Global Studies as a second major, I have been asked this many times. It seems to me that people can understand STEM majors and a pre-med track because these are well-known plans. But for humanities majors it often seems that people think you can’t do anything with that degree except having student debt. So here are a few ways you can answer the question of why you’re studying what you are studying.

1. You don’t have to.

You can decline to answer. You don’t have to explain yourself or your personal choices. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”- Eleanor Roosevelt.

2. You’re still exploring

It’s totally okay and expected to not have any explanation so far, that’s what college is for. You can literally answer “I don’t know yet.”

3. You can suggest things that people with your same major have done

I realized that a simple “what can I do with a ______ major” will yield results of people around the world and what they’ve accomplished. Nothing will shut someone down faster than a famous person who had your same major.

4. You can answer with some ideas of your own

You don’t have to do what everyone else has done. Tell them about your own plan, path, and ideas if you have them.

5. Tell them what you've accomplished so far

You can answer that while you don't know exactly what your future holds, you have already accomplished impressive feats of your own, and continue to succeed no matter your major.

6. Change the conversation to talk about goals

Instead of focusing on your major as if it determines your destiny, you can always lead the conversation in the direction of what you hope to do, whether it is related or not.

7. Brag!

You shouldn't feel inadequate, so brag about what your major is because you chose it for a reason. Explain the kinds of classes you take and why they're interesting to you.

Hopefully this helps! You’re allowed to major in whatever you choose