I Didn't Choose My Major, It Chose Me

I Didn't Choose My Major, It Chose Me

Let's be literary darling.

87

English major.

It's not every day that someone tells you that they are something other than a science or business major, but those of us who chose another path is out here.

A lot of people spent a majority of their high school career grappling with what they wanted to major in in college and who they wanted to be when they grew up. Well, I had a slightly different experience. I never put much weight on that decision because college always seemed extremely far away and then when it was getting closer, I was so involved in music at my high school that I figured well, might as well major in this. I had my mind set on majoring in musical therapy and then something happened.

I have always been an avid reader. Sometimes reading four books in one week. I used to drive my parents absolutely crazy because I was constantly asking to be driven to the bookstore and regularly, they would pay around $60 for my obsession. I thank them every day for it because had that not happened, I might be at a different university studying to be an entirely different person.

Literature has always been something that captivated me. I could get lost in those black and white pages for hours, traveling different landscapes and meeting strange, new people. My senior year, I had this incredible teacher who showed me that you can take that love of reading and turn it into a career. I was always led to assume that majoring in English meant you had to be a teacher, but this wonderful, wonderful teacher showed me that I could do SO MUCH more.

Her class showed me what it was to love literature and to live it and breathe it and at the end of that semester, I knew I had to do this for the rest of my life. I had to live a literary life and stay lost in those pages.

Now two years later I am halfway done with my degree, set on making my mark in the editorial world to help bring you books such as the one that made such an impact on me. I have not lost my love for reading and every day, I remember how lucky I am to be able to sit in a classroom and discuss great writers such as Austen, Eliot, and even some other incredible writers I had not been exposed it. It's a wonderful literary life and I already buckled in for what the future holds.

My little literary soul cannot contain itself.