Accepting Your Body During The Holidays And Beyond

This Holiday Season, Do Not Feel Bad About Unbuttoning Your Pants

Here's a little note on body positivity during and beyond the holidays.

464

Oh, the holidays. A time of year to be with friends and family, cozy up by the fire and well...EAT.

For people of all shapes and sizes, this jolly season can be stressful, especially when it concerns body positivity.

Now, I get it. The way that people have handled this issue for years is through what I like to call, "the resolution excuse". When it comes time to ring in the holiday season, people rationalize their upcoming nuptials with the fact that they are going to set a resolution in the new year to hit the gym, try the keto diet, go down a dress size, etc, etc, etc.

Do not get me wrong. New Year's resolutions can be great, but I am here to say that this does not have to be the only way to accept your eating/drinking/lifestyle habits during the holidays! Learning to love yourself and your body without relying on a backup health plan can really change your outlook on this season, and really, your life in general.

Body positivity is so important, especially during this time of year. There is nothing worse than trying to enjoy time with family and friends and worrying about how you are going to fit into your ____ next week. This is not to say that letting yourself go crazy during the holidays is the greatest choice for everyone, but there should be no shame associated with a season dedicated to togetherness.

I think that the most important part of anybody's positivity journey is learning to respect and be confident in your decisions. If you decide to go to the gym, be proud of that, and if you decide to go out with friends, be proud of that too! The more confident we are in our decisions, the better our decisions will be. Therefore, if you honor your decision to eat a little more during the holidays or stay off the scale for a few weeks, that is okay! If you decide that it is a time for you to let loose and distress (because hey, 2018 has felt about as long as the entire 2000s) then go for it! On the other hand, if you decide to hit the gym every day this holiday season, power to you!

What I am really trying to say here is that guilt and the holidays do not mesh, and more importantly, guilt should not play a role in your body image. Every day we make choices on how to work and nourish our bodies. Most of the time, being health conscious feels like a good choice, and it is. But, if you feel like ringing in the new year in sweatpants, I am right there with you.

There is no reason to dread this or any season because of our bodies, and if anything, we should use this time to embrace the amazing bodies we have and be thankful for all that it does for us day in and day out!!