Before You Find True Love, Love Yourself First

Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have.

7
Unsplash

Learn to love yourself before anyone else. This IS self-centered, but this characteristic isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

This person doesn't bend over backward for people who don't improve their life. They seek out the small handful of individuals that genuinely work to make their life full of love, humor, and happiness. We'd like to think that every friend we have is willing to work this hard but in reality, most people will leave you wondering why you put in so much effort just to receive so little in return.

This person isn't afraid to leave people who hurt them. They don't get trapped and suffocate in a toxic relationship because they have learned self-worth. They know they're a beautiful human and don't deserve to be beaten or abused. This person has been trapped, though, they've been broken down to their core and when they thought that they couldn't live anymore they realized their self-worth.

This person respects others even if they have differing opinions. They realize that not everyone is going to see the world exactly the way they see it but they don't let this bother them. They don't force others to think the way they do, they simply move on and focus on themselves. They are an individual in a society that forces us to choose sides.

This person has goals that are easily attainable because they aren't slowed down by minuscule things. They don't allow minor inconveniences to ruin their day or alter their mood. They ignore these roadblocks and focus on achieving their goal. Their success, whatever their definition of it may be, stems from the ability to move on.

This person doesn't focus on the past because that's not the way they're going. They realize that they are better today because of the events that took place no matter how big or small. They focus on the present and near future because they know every day is a gift from God and every breath they breathe is a small miracle.

These people love themselves. Their relationship with themselves sets the tone for every other relationship they have. Their love for themselves is the gateway to their love of others and of life. Love yourself.