I Love Lullwater Park

I Love Lullwater Park

Emory University's hidden gem

68
I Love Lullwater Park

When I find myself with a free afternoon, I like to make the trek down Clifton Road to Lullwater Park. Located directly between the Clairmont and Emory campuses, Lullwater is a great place to explore for those not looking to veer far from the Emory campus.

Here are the things I love about Lullwater Park.

1. Candler Lake

Candler Lake, although small, has a lot of character. It is very shallow, but has great waterfowl and fishing opportunities (so I’ve heard). The water quality changes with the seasons, but I found it to be the most clear in August.

2. The geese on Candler Lake

Speaking of waterfowl, the geese on Candler Lake are my favorite part about Emory University. I do not know what it is about these geese, but they are just so likable! The geese tend to gravitate towards anyone with food, so be careful when eating your sandwich near the shore.

3. The waterfall

The waterfall at Lullwater has been the subject of every person at Emory’s Snapchat story at least once. This waterfall is beautiful and is not very large. Dependent upon the season, the waterfall may either be flowing rapidly or at a small spill.

4. The bridges

The large bridge at Lullwater is extremely fun to cross because it is suspending high above the air and crosses the stream. However, there are a lot of smaller bridges located throughout the park that are equally awesome (but on a smaller scale).

5. The abandoned powerhouse

The abandoned powerhouse is a great place to explore once crossing the bridge. There is a lot of graffiti on the inside of the powerhouse, but all of it adds character. Stop by Lullwater frequently because the graffiti is constantly changing, and you will always encounter a new surprise.

6. The Lullwater Mansion

The current President of Emory (affectionately called J Wags) and his wife have done an amazing job remodeling the mansion at Lullwater. They have made it a tradition since coming to Emory to have Halloween Trick-Or-Treat at their home. Take this opportunity to view the inside of this historically beautiful home.

7. Unexpected trails

Each time I take a walk through Lullwater, I find a new trail. I know this seems strange, but every time I take a new turn I find some different combination of trails that gives me a different Lullwater experience.

If you are currently attending Emory University, or will be attending in the near future, I highly recommend that you go out and experience Lullwater Park at some point. It is one of my favorite places at Emory.