Living With Celiac Disease: An Incurable Condition
Conditions

It is not just a diet it is a lifestyle!

274
Frances Ackerman

What is Celiac Disease?

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that occurs genetically in people where the consumption of gluten causes damage to the small intestine. Gluten is anything containing wheat, barley, or rye. There is no cure or medication for celiac disease so the only way to not suffer from symptoms is to not eat gluten. I am not a doctor but based on my personal research, some people are born with the gene that allows for the possibility of celiac disease to develop. Some people are affected by celiac disease from a young age or it can be activated for the first time later in life by stress or other triggers.

My celiac disease journey

At the beginning of my first semester of college, I found myself under a tremendous amount of stress. I started having symptoms of celiac disease soon after I started school but I did not know that celiac disease was the cause of my pain until a year later! I experienced excruciating stomach cramps, nausea, sleepiness, and unexplained weight loss. I lost a lot of weight and this was a source of frustration because whenever I went back to my hometown. People that had not seen me in a while were fast to comment on my weight and this was upsetting because I had no control over what was going on in my body that was causing me to lose weight. While these people were quick to comment on my loss of weight they didn't understand the underlying reasons behind this weight loss and the pain it was causing me. Sometimes I was in so much pain that it hurt to walk. I was eating pasta almost every day and had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch! GLUTEN! I did not know that the food I was putting in my body was hurting me. I even went to a specialist who dismissed my symptoms and said I was "just another college girl with anxiety" and not to worry about it.

Diagnosis

I knew something was wrong so I kept trying to figure out what was going on! I eliminated dairy from my diet and that did not help. So finally a year after of pain I was willing to do anything to feel better so I decided to cut gluten out of my diet. MY LIFE CHANGED FOREVER. I saw another doctor who confirmed that I have celiac disease and I began to feel so much better!

It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle

There is no cure but I can do everything in my power to control what I eat to feel better!