Don't Take Living At Home For Granted

Don't Take Living At Home For Granted

Would you rather pay for rent for the rest of your life or have to cook every meal? Neither. I'll just move home instead.

55

Almost every high school senior has the same ambitions to move out and live on their own after spending the last eighteen years with their family. I remember vividly the day I moved into the dorm freshman year of college as if it was yesterday. I had my bags and boxes packed for probably a month before I moved out of my childhood home because I was so excited for a fresh start. My family helped me decorate my room and then, soon enough, they left and I was all on my own. I had the potential to do almost anything thanks to my newfound freedom.

But roommates can be even worse than siblings depending on how they act and treat you. I've had my fair share of good and bad roommates and the thing is, they are simply not family. I never realized how much I missed my family until I graduated from college. I moved home for my last semester to complete a teaching internship. By the way, unpaid internships are kind of a scam. Anyway, not having to worry about paying for rent or going grocery shopping was pretty sweet. My mom and I cooked together for the family and I was able to have my family dog to myself most of the time.

I also always had someone to talk to. There are six of us so it was rarely ever quiet in the house. I probably call my mom at least once a day to update her on what I'm thinking of doing that day so it wasn't much different, other than we talked in person rather than on the phone. As an extrovert, I get lonely easily so it is vital that I have someone around. However, it has always been hard for me to make friends that last. My family is there for me even when my friends cannot be. Being able to vent to my family is like free therapy.

Since I am the second oldest child, my younger siblings are still growing up and I was able to be a part of their childhood by living at home again. I was not able to bond as much with them since they are much younger than me so being home allowed me to make lifelong memories with them. It is crazy to me that simply being away for four and a half years made such a difference. So much had changed, such as my family's routine. I had to relearn how to live at home in order to fit into the family mold they had created while I was away.

Looking back now, I have realized that I do not want to become an adult because even though there is a sense of autonomy I would rather have my mom be in charge and have less to worry about. I did not realize how much I took for granted in my childhood so thank you, Mom and Dad, for giving me such an amazing life.