Like A Soda Can Part 6

"How was your spring break?" Mrs. Davis asks.

"It was nice," I say cautiously. I cannot tell her where I went or what I did because then she will know I took the violin out of town.

"I played my violin a lot. I'll see you later."

I walk around to my classes in a daze. Every time the phone rings in the classroom I jump, and it takes me out of my trance.I look at the teacher as she takes her time walking over to where the phone is. I watch attentively worried it is my mom calling to give me bad news.

"Andrea, that was the nurse, she wants you to come and see her."

Why does the nurse want to see me? Did I do something wrong? Quickly I say, "Okay." My voice is quivering as I spoke. Oh great. Now I made it obvious something is wrong.

Ms. Chahin, the school nurse, has a smile on her face as I walk into her office. "Andrea, Great to see you. How are you doing?"

"I am okay. Why do you ask?"

"My husband told me about the accident on his way home last night. He told me you were in the truck and what happened to your dad. I am just concerned for you. Are you sure you are okay?" Her concerned look on her face made it evident that I was not okay no matter what I told her.

"I am fine, I promise," I announce. Great, she knows, and now my teachers will soon find out.I want this day to be over and to talk to my mom.

"Well, just know I am here if you need me. Andrea, please take it easy and if you need a break or anything just ask to come to see me."

"I will. Thanks. I should probably get back to class." I make my way back to class. Maybe she won't say anything. Just because she knows that doesn't mean she will say anything.

After English class and Social Studies, we head to lunch and then recess. Normally, I run straight for the swings. Not today. I need my mom, and I want to know how Daddy is. I sit on the picnic table that the teachers usually sit at as they watch us play. I sit and watch everyone else playing as my mind wanders to what happened and worry fills my head.

"Andrea," Mr. Smith calls out as he approaches the table, "Why aren't you playing?"

"I don't feel like it."

"Is something wrong? You know you can talk to me, and I can help you through whatever it is that is bugging you. I was talking to Ms. Holmes, and she tells me you haven't really been yourself today."

Tears begin to fill in my eyes as I try to stay strong and silent about the pain I am feeling inside when before I could stop myself, I burst out in a full-blown cry. "I need to talk to my mom and know how he is."

"How who is? I don't understand." Mr. Smith tries to calm me down enough for him to understand and that is when I tell him about the accident. It felt so good to get it off my chest, but it didn't help the pit in my stomach. What if daddy dies?

After school, Dana picks me up. "How was your day?"

"Long. I miss Mama and Daddy."

"I am sorry, Andrea," she responds, "Let's go shopping. I know you don't have any clothes at my house and it will be fun to get our minds off things, what do you think?"

"Okay," I say, but I am unsure how shopping is going to take my mind off of my dad and if he woke up or anything, "Did you hear anything from my mom yet?"

"No, but if you want to, when we get back home, I can call her for you."

"That would be great. Thanks."

We go to a couple of stores and as we are picking out clothes for me to buy, she says, "it is nice to buy some girl clothes." She has four boys Cooper, Collin, Cody, and Connor.

"Thank you. You do know I have clothes at home, right?"

"I do, but I wanted to do something nice for you. I know this is a lot for you to go through, Andrea, and I just want you to know I am here for you in any way I can be."