5 Life Lessons As Told By Gene Wilder

5 Life Lessons As Told By Gene Wilder

"Want to change the world? There's nothing to it."

88
5 Life Lessons As Told By Gene Wilder
Indie Wire

I spent hours trying to write this article well wanting Gene Wilder to be remembered for the icon he was and the iconic roles he played. Most of all, I wanted to show others what Gene Wilder taught me not only through his characters, but as an influential person as well. Here are five life lessons as told by Gene Wilder.

1. Chase after your dreams.

"But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted...He lived happily ever after." ("Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory")

Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka not only taught me to chase after my dreams, but taught me to continue chasing new dreams. Although Wonka was telling Charlie that he deserved all the happiness in the world, he also was telling him to keep dreaming for more.

2. Never waste time.

"Time is a precious thing. Never waste it." ("Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory")

I find myself on the daily wasting the time given to me doing meaningless tasks. I continue to strive to stop wasting the time that was given to me. As we know, life can be over in the blink of an eye.

3. Always be authentic.

"If the physical thing you're doing is funny, you don't have to act funny while doing it...Just be real and it will be funnier." (Gene Wilder in his autobiography: "Kiss Me Like A Stranger: My Search for Love and Art")

In today's world where Catfish is televising deception and people edit their Instagram photos beyond recognition, we all need to take a leaf out of Mr. Wilder's book.

4. Be humble.

"I'm funny on camera sometimes. In life, once in a while. Once in a while." (Gene Wilder in exclusive interview with Robert Osborn)

In a society where being strong is favored, modesty is often seen as a weakness. Gene Wilder teaches us that although this could be the case, its not. Expressing humility might be the key to success and fulfillment in life.

5. Honesty is key.

"So shines a good deed in a weary world." ("Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory")

Gene Wilder really brought the full range of emotions in this scene and to Willy Wonka as a whole. When Charlie returns the Everlasting Gobstopper instead of giving it to Slugworth, he is rewarded by Wonka and is willed the chocolate factory. Always be honest with others, and more importantly, yourself.

Farewell, Gene Wilder. Thank you for the laughs.