Life Lessons Learnt From My First Job!

Life Lessons Learnt From My First Job!

For Charlene

14
Life Lessons Learnt From My First Job!
whileshesnaps.com

Somewhere between walking up the stairs and through the corridor of the Theatre building at my college, my eyes welled up. I had just told my first employer at the college that I wouldn’t be able to work for her anymore – well, at least for now.

Charlene gave me a job in my first week on campus, and I’ve worked at the costume shop ever since. I didn’t know how to sew or iron. I didn’t know a running stitch was different from whip stitch, and I couldn’t even sow a button back on a shirt. My grandma tried teaching me when I asked her to but she couldn’t deal with my ignorance. Charlene did. And, she answered all of my bizarre questions for which I am forever thankful.

During the summer of freshmen year, all my friends went back home, but I actually got the opportunity to work for The Ohio Light Opera. It helped me make some money and most importantly, lifelong connections and friends. I would have never gotten the chance to work over my first summer in the US had it not been for Charlene.

It was a weird feeling walking out of the costume shop after I told her I had other jobs this semester. It felt like I was leaving her in the lurch especially since so many seniors who worked there graduated this past May. But there are two things I learnt from my little talk with Charlene.

One: There will always be a time in your life where you'll have to choose between things that seem impossible to choose between. Choices are an important part of life. That’s just how it works. And, the better you get at making choices, the sooner you’ll progress.

I had to choose from 6 jobs offered to me this semester. And, last semester I had one! I made the choice to apply for these jobs. I made the choice to work hard to get them. And then, finally, when I did, I had to choose which ones to say no to!

It was difficult and heart-wrenching. But there will be times when you’ll have to way more tougher choices. I am not going to lie and say it’s easy but that’s where the second lesson I learnt that day comes in.

Two: People who love you will always support you and your decisions NO MATTER WHAT! As long as they make you happy and they can see that, they will stand by you.

That’s exactly what Charlene did. Of course, this isn’t a unique case. She has had people leave, return, not return and graduate before but I know she needed all the help she could have this semester. Despite that, she couldn’t have seemed happier. She was happy to let me go and find my own wings. She was proud, and she said, “I’ll miss you. But this job is yours. You have your name on it. Just drop by whenever you want.” And that to me is valuable. That to me is a lifelong connection made.

I know my friend was struggling because many of his friends and relatives were not being able to deal with him making decisions that took him away from them. But the point is that he has dreams, and he chose to carve his own path to success.

The people who love and respect you will always want you to do what’s best for you. They will not be the ones holding you back. They will indeed be the wind beneath your wings.

My parents had to do it. They had to let go of me and I know it wasn’t and still isn’t easy for them to see their daughter come back home after longer and longer periods of time and stay shorter and shorter periods of time. But I know they want the very best for me. They will always keep my happiness before theirs. And, that’s a parenthood lesson learnt right there

Similarly, Charlene is my mentor. She is my teacher in the truest sense. She has given me experiences I will never forget. And, even though I have CHOSEN to work at other places, for now, she will always be my first real employer. Nobody gets to take that away from either of us.

You are a good boss Charlene and you are a great guide. It brings me tears even though I’ll be working on the same campus as you to think that we’ll not be in the same shop anymore. However, I will utilize every bit of the support you have given me to make you proud. And of course, I will visit you every opportunity I get.

I love you and I will always look up to you :)