The Road Wasn't Easy But I'm Proud To Be An Aztec For Life

The Road Wasn't Easy, But I'm Proud To Be An Aztec For Life

My college life at San Diego State has been amazing and I would not trade it away for anything else.

80
Cristian Alvarez

Getting to this point in my life has not been easy. I'm sure many other people could say the same thing. Being at San Diego State University has been a huge blessing in my life. The very school I envisioned starting my career at became a reality. I'm proud to say that I am an Aztec for life.

I knew that one day I wanted to attend college. I just had no idea where to start. Being a sports guy I always heard about the prestigious universities such as Duke, USC, UCLA, and Alabama. It was difficult to pinpoint where I wanted to jump start my life as a young adult. Then an idea sparked in my head.

A large portion of my family lives in San Diego. Whenever my parents and I had the opportunity to visit our relatives in America's Finest City we would not hesitate. That's when I figured out that moving to San Diego would be an ideal situation for me. I was already familiar with the city and had family close by. So it was a no-brainer picking where I wanted to begin the next chapter of my life.

Back then I still had the work cut out for me in high school. San Diego State is a pretty competitive school to get into. On average over 60,000 applications are submitted to the university with only 35% of them being accepted. I put in the hours of studying and getting the grades I needed to place me in the best position possible to succeed. When final decisions were being sent out I still recall how happy I was when my acceptance letter came in.

After spending five years of my life at San Diego State I've enjoyed every moment of it. I've been grateful for the opportunities presented to me. Looking back at this point in my life I think I will be proud of how I grew as a person. At SDSU I've liked the atmosphere of both the student body and faculty on campus. I think there are endless possibilities for students to get involved with the culture at SDSU. Being a journalism major I have loved my time spent with the Daily Aztec and KCR College Radio. Both organizations helped me grow and head in the right direction of becoming a professional journalist.

As I am getting closer to graduating I haven't decided whether or not my life will continue to be spent in San Diego. I love this city and is a place I definitely call home. If a job opportunity arises or if I decide to enter graduate school I would not mind staying in San Diego. There is a part of me that wants to explore and not settle down just yet.

However, I won't have any complaints if the rest of my days are in America's Finest City. I'll see where the journey of life takes me.